Walk round High Green and Wortley 21st October

Well here goes! Encouraged by Taxman I`m proposing A 6/7 mile circular walk, starting from High Green and going thro Westwood Country Park and Wortley Park through to Wortley, and then on towards Wharncliffe Crags and back to High Green via a village called Howbrook.

I`ve done the walk myself and thoroughly enjoyed it. There are great views from the top of Woodhead Road across Barnsley towards Ferrybridge power station, and also across towards Stocksbridge and down to Tinsley.

There is a pub in the middle of Wortley, but unfortunately its shut for refurb at the moment.:-( There is however a tea-room there which is open Sat and Sun.Pubs will be open in High Green I`m sure.All welcome back to my place for a cuppa at the end, I`m at the start and the end of the route!

Bus no 77 from the Interchange or 75 which starts at Bradway comes to High Green via Arundel Gate run hourly Sundays, more regularly Saturdays.I`ve got the times.

The walk is varied. Lots of fields, not much proper pathway, only 2 hills Feargal, and steady ones at that! Might get muddy tho if its been raining.Hope ppl are interested, it`d be worth coming to see Wortley Hall, the home of the Earl of Wharncliffe.

2 questions:

What day?

Are dogs welcome?

depends what day ppl want.

dogs very welcome

Saturdays would suit us best

great about the dog!

Well, sorta promised Taxman that if his beloved Barnsley (0) are at home, that we might make it Sunday! But lets see what ppl want first. Barnsley FC might have to cancel!

Cheers Scubz

If you are thinking of the weekend 21st / 22nd then I'm free both days :thumbsup:

Right then folks. Following the Walkers meet tonight (Thursday) it has been decided that this walk will take place next Saturday, the 21st at 11.00, meeting place High Green Health Centre, Thompson Hill, High Green. For anyone arriving by bus, its the stop immediately after the bus tuns left at High Green crossroads. There is also parking on the road for anyone arriving in their own car.

Approximate duration of the walk is 3 hours, please wear suitable footwear for walking on muddy fields.

Me and kay will be joining you and bringing the sunshine angles. ok

Me and kay will be joining you and bringing the sunshine angles. ok

sunshine angels? can`t wait to meet them lol. bet it pees it down now!

Me and Mr Tess should be there all being well :thumbsup:

Not sure if this housewarming do is going to be this weekend or next, so we'll have to let you know ;)