Best rock gigs you've seen at the City Hall

as someone too young to remember the days of rock n roll, the best city hall gig I've seen was Chuck Berry some time early 90's Also Iron Maiden pre Dickinson, what was the original singer called ??

Originally posted by hockeybear

as someone too young to remember the days of rock n roll, the best city hall gig I've seen was Chuck Berry some time early 90's Also Iron Maiden pre Dickinson, what was the original singer called ??

the original singer of iron maiden was paul dianno did 2 gigs with him 2 where backing judas priest in 1980 and the third was a headlining tour in 1981

Best:

Rush (1977)

Alex Harvey (1979?)

Blue Oyster Cult (1978)

UFO (all)

Uriah Heep (1980)

Devo

Worst:

Robin Trower

Mike Oldfield

Marillion

Trower *really* sucked that night. Big disappointment.

Wishbone Ash 73 or 74,Rory Gallagher same time.

Worst was Ralph Mctell(got free tickets)

I can remember going to see the film' Jimi Plays Berkley' at the city hall it toured like a live band. The support for it were Gentle Giant and their transport broke down on the way to Sheffield so they played the Hendrix film first. When Gentle Giant came on the place was half empty as they had all gone to the Albert for a beer we stayed for about 20 mins of their show then went to the Albert too.

Originally posted by Wavey

Also does anyone remember having to get past the skins who used to hang around The Showboat in Pond Street.. cripes I've had some scrapes there LOL

ahh yes the good old days rocker bashing. :D

best i saw was chuck berry!!

met him backstage as my pals dad worked in security. must have been early sixties i suppose. he was writing "freuleine" on bit of paper and later released it on an album. said it was about a girl he met in germany.

god, where have all the years gone ?

For me it has to be Tull's Aqualung tour early 70's. Sent me mum down to Willy Peck's dead early for tickets - had to write their name down for her - she got us got row A stalls! Got backstage after, band were playing cricket with Gibson's! Still got the signed programme.

Other memorables include Roxy with Eno (though the early gig at Ranmoor Hall gym for 50p might shade it)! Mott the Hoople in their prime were also up there.

We always kicked off in the Museum, followed by the Albert. Rmember being chased by skins throught the multistory behind the Top Rank on the way back to Pond Street - we were too quick for them fortuanately - no one ever won a medal in Doc Martin's :help:

If you move fast in front of a skinhead he cant see you, their brains dont work fast enough :hihi:

Anyone remember "Doctors of Madness". They played there in the late 70s. I remember one of the band player an electric violin. Awsome.

Saxon on the Denim and Leather Tour for me, 1981 ish !!!1 Always went in The Museum for a pint first (now long since gone)

I shouldn't really but I'm going to throw in Emile Ford and the Checkmates, 1959 and the following year the 6.5 Special Road Show complete with Don Lang and his Frantic Five. Its not rock 'n roll but I did enjoy the Shadows Final Reunion Concert May 2004.