Best rock gigs you've seen at the City Hall

My favourites - all between 1970 - 73

1. Pink Floyd (1970 - played "Ummagumma" type stuff)

2. Bowie (1973 - I know it's referred to as the "Ziggy" tour but it was actually after Aladinn Sane came out - he played Ziggy stuff at Top Rank in 72)

3. Tyrannosaurus Rex (Bolan spent entire gig sat cross legged on floor)

4. Taste (Rory Gallagher's band)

5. Pink Floyd (1972 - DSOTM tour)

6. Traffic

7. Roxy Music

8. Genesis / Lindisfarne / Audience (Charisma label tour - 3 bands for 60p)

9. Family

10. King Crimson

Then they started charging over £1..............

I remember the ELP gig when they started "Pictures" - Emerson going up to play the City Hall organ only to find it wasn't working.

Dr Feelgood, the one they made the live album from.

Louden Wainwright III. Superb solo concert. Laughed a lot.

Ian Hunter/Mick Ronson. Great gig.

Does anyone remember Thin Lizzy playing at the Crucible?

Hendrix, Floyd and The Nice on the same bill....

Also Amen Corner, Bill Wyman's The End and a few others on the same night......

Best tickets cost the same as a new pair of Lee Riders - quite a choice in those days!

Pleased to say that the music won!

No.2 gig has got to be Rory Gallagher, but I can't remember whether it was Taste or the RG band.....either way, terrific.

I remember he backed his Strat volume completely off in one number, and played it like an acoustic.

The hall was completely silent and in awe.....

Was a guitarist that Irishman was....sadly no longer with us....

Who are all these 2nd raters?

The Beatles in 1966.Incredible.

The stage was knee deep in smarties.

The audience made so much noise you couldn't hear a note but what a night.

Originally posted by Dick

Who are all these 2nd raters?

The Beatles in 1966.Incredible.

The stage was knee deep in smarties.

The audience made so much noise you couldn't hear a note but what a night.

Your memory is playing tricks on you. The Beatles last played at the Sheffield City Hall on November 9, 1964.

They did play the Gaumont across the road in Barker's Pool on December 8, 1965, but they certainly didn't perform anywhere in Britain in 1966.

All their concerts in 1966 took place in Germany, the Philippines, USA & Japan, before they retired from live performance on August 29, 1966 with a show at Candlestick Park in San Francisco

I saw Free at the City Hall on their last tour I think it was 1974 great time, also saw UFO at the CH and much to my shame Mott the Hoople at the old Top Rank (knew I used to drink to much).

Originally posted by Wavey

Seeing as how I'm starting off here on a music angle.. (and forgive me if this is an old thread).. whats the best gigs you've seen at the City Hall

AC/DC on the Back In Black Tour has to rank amongst the best ever, right before they went stellar.

UFO never failed to entertain

IRON MAIDEN though I'm not really a fan they were amazing on that first tour with Bruce Dickinson

I also used to love SAXON with the Russ Abbott of Rock Biff Byford, absolute class.

I've seen so many great bands there, I hope the refurb isn't too extensive.. it won't be the same without the grubby edge LOL

BTW - Whitesnake in the mid-90s had to be the worst gig ever.. only one I ever walked out of.

Probably Motorhead (around 1980? - First album) - I was on crowd control with my mate Big Mick, we were at the front attempting to pull out a girl who'd flaked out when they came out on stage and started playing. The first 4 rows of seats got completely flattened in the surge, luckly me and my mate are both over 6'2, so we managed to keep the girl held high above everyones heads! Took us about 25 minutes to get her out to safety, I remember the PA stacked right to the City Hall ceiling, I was completely deaf for 3 days after that gig lol

Ah, Thin Lizzy when they were promoting the Black Rose album. That was a good one.

Originally posted by Zinc

Probably Motorhead (around 1980? - First album) - I was on crowd control with my mate Big Mick, we were at the front attempting to pull out a girl who'd flaked out when they came out on stage and started playing. The first 4 rows of seats got completely flattened in the surge, luckly me and my mate are both over 6'2, so we managed to keep the girl held high above everyones heads! Took us about 25 minutes to get her out to safety, I remember the PA stacked right to the City Hall ceiling, I was completely deaf for 3 days after that gig lol

Ah, Thin Lizzy when they were promoting the Black Rose album. That was a good one.

was prob 1979 motorhead didnt do the city hall in 80

It has been mentioned many times, but it has to be Thin Lizzy. I think it must have been about '77. Around that time Supertramp did a good gig too. And Feelgood (I was entranced by the antics of Wilko - who is playing the Boardwalk next week).

One of the worst gigs I saw was when Blondie were supporting someone (cant remember who). It was before Blondie made it of course, and Debbie Harry's voice was terrible live, like nails down a blackboard, she also looked dog rough in the flesh. The band hadnt got it together either. When I see a Blondie vid on tv I am aware just how much their sound has been manufactured and Harry's looks airbrushed up!

One that hasnt been mentioned is Lou Reed. That was my first gig when I was 13, so it must have been 73/74. How cool is that for a first gig? It wasnt my favourite, but it was OK, worth mentioning.

Another poor show was Hawkwind, cant remember what year, but I remember we were all totally disinterested sitting in the balcony, supping from a gin bottle, the highlight being when Dave Brock (? I think) got his whip out to go with his Nazi uniform. Must have been about 1975 ish?

I have also seen Elvis Costello there three times I think, the earliest being 1980. He is great everytime.

alyson

Lou Reed: Saturday, June 1, 1974.

I was there! What a brilliant concert. Don't ask me why I remember that day and date.

It was the same band on the Rock and Roll Animal and Lou Reed Live LPs.

Also the first Elvis Costello gig. Did he headline after sets from Richard Hell and the Voidoids and John Cooper Clarke?

Originally posted by dishwasher

alyson

Lou Reed: Saturday, June 1, 1974.

I was there! What a brilliant concert. Don't ask me why I remember that day and date.

It was the same band on the Rock and Roll Animal and Lou Reed Live LPs.

Also the first Elvis Costello gig. Did he headline after sets from Richard Hell and the Voidoids and John Cooper Clarke?

Thanks for the date! I remember now you have said it, and can see the ticket! I was 14 then,not 13. But it was still cool! I remember that before he came on we heard a group of girls at the front say "he's dyed his hair fluorescent blond" and we couldnt picture that ... until he came on of course. And naturally I bought Rock and Roll animal afterwards, still have a copy, and love to listen to the best ever version of Sweet Jane with full intro! My friend and I were Bowie fans which of course led to our interest in Lou Reed.

Neither myself,nor my partner can remember who supported Elvis the first time we saw him. Age ... and dropping off of neurones Im afraid!!!

Did you see him this year at the Octagon? Excellent once again. Made me all emotional!