Best rock gigs you've seen at the City Hall

Orchestral manoeuvres in the dark ......awesome live band 

39 minutes ago, e3sa934 said:

Bowie, 6 June 1973

I was there - front row of the balcony - not just a gig - a show...........................

Edited by Longcol

13 hours ago, Longcol said:

I was there - front row of the balcony - not just a gig - a show...........................

I was in seat E 25 on the balcony 🙂 ...  my meagre funds stretched to the souvenir tour programme too - one of my most treasured pieces of memorabilia

I remember Sir Glyn being banned from the Memorial Hall in 1970. We were told we couldn’t use amplified instruments but the bass player needed his amp.one of the attendants came to tell us to turn it off so we grabbed him and tied him up! Whoops!

Seen AC/DC twice once at the City Hall the other one Top Rank. They were great on both occasions. My ears rang for days after the Rank gig.

The list is so long. I saw that many. Memorable nights abound. The finest were sometimes not even the major 'noise' acts.

If an arm was twisted and I had to do the whole Top 5 thing I'd probably say:

The Strawbs in '73

Marillion '85

Bryan Ferry (with Chris Spedding on guitar) in '76

Be-Bop Deluxe/Doctors Of Madness in '76

Queen/Hustler in '74

Honorable mentions to The Spinners, Extreme, Wizzard, Van Halen (who slaughtered Sabbath), Lindisfarne, Eno & the Winkies, Lou Reed, Mott the Hoople and Elton John (back when he was good in '73).   

I'd agree with LongCol re Bowie in '73- I remember the queue for tickets at 0630 went round and on Leopold Street, but luckily I spied a mate who let me in further up the queue! I also had Spanish oral exam that morning as well!

Also, Alex Harvey was brilliant with his crowd control using a hand-held spotlight.

The most boring stage performance was Roxy Music around the same time, but the music was good.

The loudest was Motorhead and also Gong in '76 approx.

Forgot to include in my 'honourable mentions' Sir David of Essex. '74, at the time 'Gonna Make You A Star' was massive. I was worried screaming girlies would drown him out.  They tried - but the man's a professional. Marvellous performance by him and his band.

On 16/01/2020 at 23:31, e3sa934 said:

Bowie, 6 June 1973

I remember him sending a lovely suit to be cleaned by us. He stayed at the Grosvenor and we had to get it back early the next day.

14 hours ago, hobinfoot said:

I remember him sending a lovely suit to be cleaned by us. He stayed at the Grosvenor and we had to get it back early the next day.

I miss the Grosvenor. My wife & I used to go for meals there. Always enjoyed it when the guy doing card tricks would come to your table after you'd finished for some post-meal entertainment. 

I'm quite a practical person and would watch his hands very closely to see how the tricks were done. Never could spot the slight of hand.  

Edited by wearysmith