Best rock gigs you've seen at the City Hall

Originally posted by docmel

Emerson Lake and Palmer (twice) - started and ended in the Buccaneer where they played ELP music just to get you in the mood

Good times doc, did you see them at the Polly too ? Emo broke some ribs down there , and one of the council security men came on...uniform and all and shouted you might as well P*** off home as he's bust a rib..classic.

I've seen maybe hundreds of bands over the years, but without doubt the most memorable was Jimi Hendrix at the City Hall about 1967/8.

As a budding but skint guitarist at the time, I stood there with my mouth open while Jimi proceded to pour lighter fluid on one of his many stratocaster guitars and then set fire to it!

Great gigs then, and you got loads for your money.

How many people know that there's a smaller auditorium behind the City Hall (but in the same building). I forget the name of it, but I saw Tyrannosaurus Rex there as an acoustic duo (pre-T.Rex) in 1969. They were introduced by John Peel, who was a big champion of Marc Bolan in the early days.

Not the best City Hall gig, but one of the most memorable was the Incredible String Band, again around 1969. When we came out after the show there was a gang of skinheads waiting outside chanting "kill the hippies". We managed to escape, but I heard later that the skins chased some fans through town as far as Pond Street where they gave them a good kicking.

Originally posted by mojoworking

How many people know that there's a smaller auditorium behind the City Hall (but in the same building). I forget the name of it,

Mojo - Its called the Memorial Hall - It is highly praised in the music industry for its acoustics.

Seen a couple of gigs myself in there and it is a bit special.

Lets hope the current refurb plans dont spoil it.

I still advocate the best gig for me was Thin Lizzy, One memory I have is Phil Lynott using his bass guitar to reflect the light around the hall. Magical.

Originally posted by mikey

Mojo - Its called the Memorial Hall - It is highly praised in the music industry for its acoustics.

I still advocate the best gig for me was Thin Lizzy, One memory I have is Phil Lynott using his bass guitar to reflect the light around the hall. Magical.

Remember the thin lizzy one, as we got in for nowt as we new someone on the door and when everyone rushed the front we just walked in!

1. David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust era) qued all night and had to wag school.

2. Thin Lizzy (rip Phil)

3. Kraftwerk

4. Sensational Alex Harvey Band (not a brilliant live sound but good for a laugh and camp as a row of tents)

Worst one Rik Wakeman (I still want my fiver back)

Originally posted by mikey

Cheers Mikey,

As I recall, it is a very small hall holding no more than a couple of hundred. More like a lecture hall, in fact. Do you know what its original purpose was? Classical recitals, perhaps?

The Best Gigs I Saw At The City Hall Were:

Anthrax '87-Amazing Crowd-Loadsa Stagediving,Moshing,Etc. Metallica '88-When They Were In Their Prime,Met The Guys After The Gig.Top Blokes!

Any Of The 4 Times I Saw Maiden There-Always A Good Professional Performance.

Ozzy Osbourne:Can't Remember The Year,But He Had Zakk Wylde With Him.What Ozzy Lacks In Singing Ability,He Certainly Makes Up For In Stage Charisma.Legend.

The Biggest Disappointments Were Anthrax's Return In '89.They Wouldn't Allow Anyone Near The Stage And There Was Hardly Anybody There.And When Motley Crue Cancelled On Their Girls,Girls,Girls Tour.

Hope There's More Memories To Come When They Re-open It,But It'll Take Something Special To Top These.

I can remember a film crew turning up and filming a load of us sitting on the steps before they opened the doors to a judas priest gig.

we were told it was to be included on a video but i don't know if it was.

Lizzy with magnum suporting top show.

Nazareth on the No mean city tour too.

metallica on the justice for all tour :)

i missed danzig but managed to buy a ticket off a tout for the proper price.........was kicked out once for stage diving but was let back in, the rest of the gig was spent getting on stage, waiting for the bouncers then diving off before being grabbed :)

Was That On The "Ram It Down" Tour? That Was The Only Time I've Seen Priest.A Mate Gave Me A Free Ticket (Right Up On The Balcony).

They Filmed Maiden On The First Night In '86,For The "Stranger In A Strange Land" Video.I Actually Got A Full Video Of The Gig.At The Time Someone Was Sneaking A Camcorder In And Recording A Lot Of The Gigs,Think Someone Gone Done For It In The End (After He'd Made A Few Quid,Mind).Kinda Made The Security Look Bad I S'pose.

mullett - I was at the Dr Feelgood gig in 1975. The Sheffield concert formed side 1 and the Southend concert formed side 2 of Stupidity. I'm on the Sheffield side! I waited for a quite moment between songs and whistled as loud as I could. Can't remember which songs they were, but I'm on it.

Iron maiden 85-86?, SOMEWHERE IN TIME TOUR? although ive seen them many times this one stands out for me, because i met the whole band after.............

:thumbsup:

Also seen:

AC/DC

SAXON

MEATLOAF

METALLICA

MARILLION

WHITE SNAKE:

:headbang: