Best rock gigs you've seen at the City Hall

Wavey, we probably have.

I have seen Thunder at many different venues over the years. They are equally at home in smaller venues (Nottingham's Rock City) and the larger stadiums (Don Valley).

I have tickets to see them in december with Deep Purple, but not sure if I'll hang about to see the full show from DP. I went to see Thunder support Alice Cooper last time around and he was defintely getting too old to prance around. Stayed the course that night though cos we had back stage passes to meet the thunder guys!

Arena has had some good line ups over the past few years, best all time gigs there would have to be Metallica and Bon Jovi! not much difference!!

Yeah I saw Thunder on The Alice Cooper do.. I thought Alice was 4th best band on the night but saved himself with a run of hits for the last half hour. Don't be put off DP by what I said though. It was the excrutiating 20 minute solos that very nearly spoiled the night.. like Alice they saved the day with a greatest hits finale.

I saw Thunder at Don Valley too.. with Bon Jovi right? Mrs Wavey was in 7th heaven with old JBJ AND Danny in one day.. I went for Van halen more than anything. Thunder were knockout when we saw them at the Uni. I'm really sad they never REALLY made it, when you see some of the crap that HAS made it.

I'm not a fan but Bon Jovi at The Arena were magnificent.

Ooh, I saw the Black Crowes' at the City Hall too, absolutely incredible!!!

so how did you manage to get backstage Loopy?

Are they as nice a bunch of geezers as they appear?

I've (surprisingly) not been to that many City Hall gigs. Back in the late 80s early 90s I saw Thunder, Skid Row and Skin there. More recently I saw Alice Cooper and Bad Company. Also saw Then Jerico and I think I saw Little Angels play (or was that somewhere else???)

1. JUDAS PRIEST /IRON MAIDEN 1980 .....first ever concert can still remember it:thumbsup:

2.AC/DC 1980

3. W.A.S.P 1989

4. CHEAP TRICK 1986 ........opener for motley crue

5. BANANARAMA ...1989....................... dont laugh went both nights front row seats too:thumbsup:

Ah, Cheap Trick. Blew Motley Crue off stage in terms of slick professionalism (and tunes) couldn't believe they were the support.

As for Crue..nice trick with the drum kit is all I can say.

RE: how do you get backstage?

Make sure your at the front, go wild and make a grab for the back stage passes when they are handed out!

They are a great bunch of guys. Harry is as mad in person as he is on stage - wore a giant afro wig for most of it last time. Danny is pocket sized in person, but I don't old that against him. They all remained very sober, quite quiet and spent time moving around the room signing autographs and making sure that they spoke to everyone there.

Don Valley had a mixed set up!. Ugly Kid joe, Thunder, Bon Jovi and Val Halen. Something for everyone!! The funniest bit on the day was Jon BJ, mentioning his friendship with Joe Elliot and the ground going wild thinking he was about to come on stage. JBJ then had to apologise for him not appearing and got Boo'd!!!

Next live gig for me is Red Hot Chillis in Manchester in a few weeks. Hopefully a sunny day!

I went to the Don Valley gig.. it was Crown of Thorns as well. Didn't see Ugly Kid Joe though.. I was probably in the Carbrook at the time.

I was there for VH.. not at their best.

I doubt a big bruiser like me would get a Thunder pass.. my little wife might though, she wigs out good and proper for Thunder LOL

The Chilis will be magnificent. My daughter saw them in London last year and still talks about it now.

Saw Dr Feelgood at the city hall late '75. Absolutely amazing, and I remember thinking the band were stunned by the reaction of the crowd...sometime later they released a live album on inspection I found the legend "recorded live at Sheffield City Hall".

motorhead-bomber tour,top class...

saxon,lutrec,geddis axe..

OH MATRON...