Best rock gigs you've seen at the City Hall

Saw lots of groups at the City Hall.Slade twice and the support acts were Status Quo and The sensational Alex Harvey band.

Pete Gill played drums for Saxon for a while.

Saw Roxy Music before all the Avalon pish as well.

Metallica backed up by Danzig in 89

Skid Row being blown away by Vain in 89

Aerosmith backed by Thunder was incredible

Ocean Colour Scene the other year were absolutely fantastic - much better than I'd expected.

Maiden are always fantastic, as are Motorhead.

Best? Vain's performance. Skid Row were excellent that night, but Vain were astonishing.

I can remember going to see the film' Jimi Plays Berkley' at the city hall it toured like a live band. The support for it were Gentle Giant and their transport broke down on the way to Sheffield so they played the Hendrix film first. When Gentle Giant came on the place was half empty as they had all gone to the Albert for a beer we stayed for about 20 mins of their show then went to the Albert too.

I went to that one.

one other thing that comes to mind,can't remember which concert, was going round writing man in felt tip under all the way out signs.

well it was funny at the time.

The live album was called "Stupidity"

The support act for this concert was "Alberto Y Lost Trios Paranoias" a fourteen piece comedy/parody band from Manchester, who were great. The highlight of the night was when their lead guitarist did a take off of Hendrix at Woodstock, playing the theme from "The Archers"

Anybody else seen any really great support acts?

I saw a band called Genesis supporting Lindisfarne in 1972 or 73 promoting Foxtrot. Wonder what happened to them and their scruffy long haired bearded drummer.

I also saw Alberto Y Lost Trios Paranoias at Bradford University, one of them took all his clothes off and stood there completely naked and carried on playing. I think they were supporting Supertramp on Crime of the Century Tour but stand to be corrected on that.

Being a nerd I just checked that out. Genesis supported Lindisfarne at Sheffield City Hall on Oct 3rd 1972, anyone there? I saw them Oct 11th in Bradford and by December they had cracked America. Someone tells me Supertramp were in fact supported by Chris De Burgh. Used to go to so many gigs sometimes 2 a night in various mental conditions I can't remember who I've seen!

Being a nerd I just checked that out. Genesis supported Lindisfarne at Sheffield City Hall on Oct 3rd 1972, anyone there? I saw them Oct 11th in Bradford and by December they had cracked America. Someone tells me Supertramp were in fact supported by Chris De Burgh. Used to go to so many gigs sometimes 2 a night in various mental conditions I can't remember who I've seen!

A friend of a friend told me a story about when he saw Genesis in a church hall many many years ago.The police were called following a complaint and they were asked to tone down the volume a bit

Being a nerd I just checked that out. Genesis supported Lindisfarne at Sheffield City Hall on Oct 3rd 1972, anyone there?

Me - remember it pretty well - Van Der Graaf Generator were top of the bill! It cost 60p - the bands were all on the Charisma label who promoted the tour. Lindisfarne were by far and away the best of the three bands that night, especially their finale of "we can swing together". And if memory serves Genesis were promoting "Trespass" - they finished the set with "The Knife" - Gabriel singing "some of you are going to die" and pointing the mike stand at the audience pretending it was a gun.

Damn - this was the Jan 1971 gig I saw - age playing tricks on the memory etc.

:) black sabbath[1975ish] louder than the steelworks i worked in,the support band were some yanks called black oak arkensaw who did a 20+ minute drum solo [boooring] then the drummer threw his sticks in to the crowd. we came out with ears bleeding,spent rest o nite seein if i could spot any 1 with drum stix stickin out their heads. missed the best 1 rod & faces due 2 tonsilitis 1972.to the guy who topped us all with the beatles[yep must agree yu'r rite]mum took me & our kid 2 the city hall 2 see the beatles arrive there [bout 63ish] she put me on her shoulders & i saw these guys get out of a limo & sprint faster than seb coe up the big steps,people were screamin & carryin on like mad there seemed 2 b thousands there. strange innit,recently here in scarboro the guy from the building society advert came to town [think its the annoying halifax rap style 1]& people were queing up 2 get his autograph & carryin on like e we'r paul mcartney or summat.

Wishbone Ash

Rory Gallagher

Thin Lizzy about '82

Sammy Hagar- around the similar time,

stick in the mind as being fantastic live, much better than some of the terrible NWOBHM band I used to go and see at the time.

Motorhead were big disapointment- just one big wall of sound

Me - remember it pretty well - Van Der Graaf Generator were top of the bill! It cost 60p -

Damn - this was the Jan 1971 gig I saw - age playing tricks on the memory etc.

12 bob actually.

I can remember seeing Chris De Burgh supporting Supertramp at the City Hall. If my memory serves me right it was in January 1975. Supertramp were awesome that night and Chris De Burgh performed solo, just him and his guitar. Never thought he'd become the big star that he did though.
I saw them on that tour on Nov 5th 1974 I remember cos on way a rocket landed on pavement in front of me and I tried to get in with it sticking out of my pocket. I was with ex wife to be with false DOBs on our Union cards cos we were underage.