Best rock gigs you've seen at the City Hall

Saw Purple,Zeppelin,Sabbath etc but to be honest my most memorable concert has got to be Tangerine dream in 73/74?? it was so different to anything I had seen before,took me a while to get my head round it actually.

Saw Purple,Zeppelin,Sabbath etc but to be honest my most memorable concert has got to be Tangerine dream in 73/74?? it was so different to anything I had seen before,took me a while to get my head round it actually.
Tangerine Dream was memorable for me because it was first gig I left before it finished, far too weird for me. They are still on the go. I also left gig by Judas Priest in mid 70s at Leeds Town Hall and Eddie Izzard as I had been expecting to see a comedian (I'm told he's an alumni of University of Sheffield, whatever that means).

On 04/06/2004 at 15:43, Wavey said:

Seeing as how I'm starting off here on a music angle.. (and forgive me if this is an old thread).. whats the best gigs you've seen at the City Hall

AC/DC on the Back In Black Tour has to rank amongst the best ever, right before they went stellar.

UFO never failed to entertain

IRON MAIDEN though I'm not really a fan they were amazing on that first tour with Bruce Dickinson

I also used to love SAXON with the Russ Abbott of Rock Biff Byford, absolute class.

I've seen so many great bands there, I hope the refurb isn't too extensive.. it won't be the same without the grubby edge LOL

BTW - Whitesnake in the mid-90s had to be the worst gig ever.. only one I ever walked out of.

Old thread, New post.

Best ROCK gigs at The City Hall I saw, would have been Queen, Sensational Alex Harvey Band, (Dr. Feelgood) and Sweet....all were in the early to mid 1970's.

Noisy and sometimes rowdy, but good old Heavy rock music.

Errol Garner ,he sat on a pile of yellow  pages and sent us all Misty.

Sorry just realised this is best Rock so that will be the Rhythm  Kings with Georgie Fame ,Bill Whyman  and Beverly Skeet.

Edited by Albert smith

Really hard to pick the best rock gig but the ones that i still think about most are Alex Harvey,Uriah Heep,Rory Gallagher,Rush in 70s.My last City Hall gig was Joe Satriani in 2015.

UB 40 and the Stranglers were both awful just not interested in performing.

The real worst was Lenny Henry word for word from stuff everyone had seen on tv a hundred times before, you knew what was coming before he had opened his mouth, so different to a true star Billy Connolly who was brilliant.

Best performer was Elvis Costello not a major fan but what a show.

But the best full show by far was Jimi Hendrix, The Nice , Amen Corner , the Move, and some no hopers called Pink Floyd  all on the same bill.

Edited by mickyboy
Last bit dissapeared on posting.

THE AMAZING ALEX HARVEY BAND , even though i did see Zepplin there , but Robert Plant had a sore throat.

Edited by jad279
added a bit

That's sounds good. Saw Jerry Lee in Birmingham in the eighties then in Memphis in the nineties. Also Buddy Holly, The Platters and Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers at the City Hall 1958 !

Shirley Bassey at The Empire Union Street. And so it goes on.

Went to see Alex Harvey band a couple of times fabulous also seen OMD a few times superb live. 

Pink Floyd, The Who.........

On 19/02/2019 at 07:24, mickyboy said:

UB 40 and the Stranglers were both awful just not interested in performing.

The real worst was Lenny Henry word for word from stuff everyone had seen on tv a hundred times before, you knew what was coming before he had opened his mouth, so different to a true star Billy Connolly who was brilliant.

Best performer was Elvis Costello not a major fan but what a show.

But the best full show by far was Jimi Hendrix, The Nice , Amen Corner , the Move, and some no hopers called Pink Floyd  all on the same bill.

Hard to believe that the likes of Peter Frampton, Andy Fairweather Low and Roy Wood were all higher rated than  Floyd eh? In hindsight of course, as Floyd were the new kids on the block at that time.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Oh and Be Bop Deluxe, 1976 were Fantastic at the City Hall too.

Edited by dropout
spelling mistake!