Best rock gigs you've seen at the City Hall

Best Gig at The City Hall, without a doubt Thin Lizzy, Black Rose Tour although a close run thing.

Also saw Gillan, Black Sabbath with Van Halen on support (who blew them away), Robert Plant, Y&T, Big Country, Marillion, Dr Feelgood with Squeeze on support, Lindisfarne with Chubby Brown and Chris Rea on support, Motorhead (Bomber Tour) with Saxon on Support (LOUD!!!!!) and lots more.

It was a great venue in its' time and sadly since the advent of arenas we no longer get to see major bands in that size venue.

All my best memories are from the early 70's. Rory Gallagher on the Tattoo tour, Yes touring Close To The Edge, Zeppelin was a highlight despite Percy's bad throat. Gong around 1974 - just what was that aroma?:D But the most entertaining for me was seeing Alex Harvey - Vambo Rools!

Albatross - Jimi Hendrix for me too!.

I can still see him now xpalying guitar with his teeth.

I remember he wore a sparkly multi coloured waistcoat. I think the Nice and Pink Floyd were on the same bill that night. I will never forget it.

Tommy Steel

Alma cogan

Helen Shipiro

Shirley Bassy. Long,long time ago, :)

the city hall is without doubt one of the best places you can see a gig.seen some fantastic ones over the years.maiden,priest,saxon,ufo etc.but one that always stands out in my mind is sammy hagar.cant remember the exact date(must have been early 80s) but he was awesome that night,finishing with a cover of zeppelins whole lotta love.

Comics, Boybands, other random ones but not many rock ones.

So at the risk of serious heckling under a rock title, I'll say Robert Palmer. (RIP)

Hendrix/Pink Floyd gig in 1968, 2 shows at 6.30 and 8.30, I think. The Who were always great live. Enjoyed Genesis "Supper`s Ready" tour, also when they appeared with Lindisfarne & Van der Graaf Generator on the Charisma Tour, 6/6 all seats! King Crimson were excellent doing " In The Wake of Poseidon". Saw short-lived group Peace who were very good. ELP were always good to watch, very gifted musicians. Groundhogs were regulars and always played well. Byzantium were good in support to Status Quo, who also played well doing numbers from "Ma Kelly`s Greasy Spoon". Focus played well, great musicianship. Trouble is.. I don`t like this type of music anymore! However, I am glad I had the opportunity to see them all, mostly to the shouts of "Albatross!" and the smell of Joss-sticks!:cool:

Marillion just after Fish had left, I thought Steve Hogarth was amazing that night, not been much of a fan since Holidays in Eden though, also saw Jethro Tull a few years later, I fell asleep during that one;)

great to see all the lists of great gigs.the early 70s were indeed halcyon days.favourite gigs for me were deep purple about 71,free around the same year.i too saw the zeppelin show in 73 where robert plant couldnt reach any high notes due to flu-the only gig ive ever been to that had scaffolding in front of the stage to keep the women at bay.other gigs-mott the hoople were magnificent,saw them twice.ian hunter had his iron cross guitar and then saw their rock n roll circus that included a knife throwing act and also the awful max wall,i can remember him doing his funny walk up and down the aisles but getting booed off due to nobody finding his jokes funny at all.humble pie with peter frampton supporting.curved air with the lovely sonja kristina on vocals.the superb van der graaf generator,edgar broughton band.watching roger chapmans streetwalkers and chappo breaking mike stands and several tambourines.the awesome yes,rick wakeman had just joined them-just fantastic times!!!

great to see all the lists of great gigs.the early 70s were indeed halcyon days.favourite gigs for me were deep purple about 71,free around the same year.i too saw the zeppelin show in 73 where robert plant couldnt reach any high notes due to flu-the only gig ive ever been to that had scaffolding in front of the stage to keep the women at bay.other gigs-mott the hoople were magnificent,saw them twice.ian hunter had his iron cross guitar and then saw their rock n roll circus that included a knife throwing act and also the awful max wall,i can remember him doing his funny walk up and down the aisles but getting booed off due to nobody finding his jokes funny at all.humble pie with peter frampton supporting.curved air with the lovely sonja kristina on vocals.the superb van der graaf generator,edgar broughton band.watching roger chapmans streetwalkers and chappo breaking mike stands and several tambourines.the awesome yes,rick wakeman had just joined them-just fantastic times!!!
You saw zeppelin, you lucky *******::thumbsup: :

yes the beatles were there in 64, in 66-67 can't remember which but i saw the american folk and blues festival with such greats as muddy waters, johnny lee hooker, mississippi fred mc dowell,sonny boy williamson,son house,willie dixon and the list goes on,the show went for hrs, really didn't know who i was watching at the time but i do now:D , the rush concert was great, and the tubes was a great show also, it's been a great line up at the city hall. hope it still happens?

By the time the City Hall started holding rock concerts,as opposed to package shows,I'd already seen most of the big names at the Mojo club and believe me nothing can compare with seeing Hendrix playing on a one foot high bandstand. from a distance of six inches.The Mojo spoiled me and I never saw a truly great show at the City Hall.The staff were a load of officious,jobsworth,killjoy anal orifices and the manager,Mr Gummer was the dour Yorkshireman's dour Yorkshireman.Even the operatic societies who used to put shows on there couldn't get on with him so you can guess how he felt about rock and rollers.However,Dylan was good after a nervous start,the Beatles were inaudible and the Floyd always put on a good show.