Best rock gigs you've seen at the City Hall

Many rock gigs spring to mind but most notably:

1969 Jimi Hendrix with Nice, Pink Floyd, Move and it only cost 7/6

Family - many times with and without the Pink Fairies

John Mayall's Blues Breakers

Marillion - Script for a jester tour

Alice Cooper

Counting Crows

First gig I ever went to was John Mayall and his bluesbreakers,Others were Groundhogs,ELP,Deep purple,Genesis,Peter Gabriel,Free,King Crimson still got the ticket stubs for most of them don't think I paid more than a pound for any of them. Saw the Police at the top Rank for 50 p.

Rory Gallagher...Zeppelin, Queen, Lynyrd Skynrd...I couldn't get a ticket to see the meisters of Louisiana but was walking down Pinstone Street the day they were due. About seven blokes walked towards me shoulder to shoulder....The man in the middle was small with a black hat...I was gobsmacked so much so they asked if I was ok! They gave me a backstage pass.... The rest is history.

Remember the small group of youngsters who used to sneak in for all the gigs?

Kraftwerk in about 1990 were everything I expected they would be eg cool as f***. Also Donovan in the small room round the back around the same time.

Like other posters I have seen Gong several times in the city and, in a similar vein, Roy Harper - all excellent.

On the downside, I have to take my mum every year to see Daniel O'Donnell at the city hall - pity it's been closed this year.....!!

Originally posted by bensonhedges

Kraftwerk in about 1990 were everything I expected they would be eg cool as f***. Also Donovan in the small room round the back around the same time.

Like other posters I have seen Gong several times in the city and, in a similar vein, Roy Harper - all excellent.

On the downside, I have to take my mum every year to see Daniel O'Donnell at the city hall - pity it's been closed this year.....!!

the kraftwerk gig was exellent prob one of the best concerts ive ever been to:)

I was not into heavy rock, but I did see Roy Orbison, Bobby Vee, Brenda Lee, Sounds Incorporated plus many more who I just cant re-call and across the road at the Gaumont I was priviliged to see Eddie Cochran just before he was killed in a horrific car crash , on the same bill was Gene Vincent and our home grown artist Vince Eager.

To see all these top artist the most I paid was 3/6 in to-days money seventeen and a half pence.

I saw Judas Priest - it was my one and only rock gig at City Hall, so I would say it was great.

I saw Little Angels, the one I went to was at the Octagon, still have a plectrum with the Little Angels logo on it stashed away somewhere that I picked off the floor at the gig.

Iron Maiden on the 'World Slavery Tour' in 1984, my first ever rock gig so I remember it quite well as it was my first.

Metallica supported by Anthrax in 1986 on the 'Puppets' Tour. Now that was excellent, two great bands for £4.50! Just before Metallica went stellar and of course only a few weeks before the death of Cliff Burton.

A very close call this. Saw loads of bands, even some which were not my favourites put on agreat live show

The best few were Alex Harvey, Thin Lizzy, Be-Bop Deluxe (Sunburst Finish tour), Rory Gallagher & Status Quo

The tightest band out of the lot were Thin Lizzy in 1976

Does the audience still shout for Wally whilst waiting during the sound check?