Sheffield War Heroes

I'm trying to find information on Sheffield's WW2 heroes...can anybody help? I notice that among many groups there is a Normandy Veterans Association but I can't find much detail on anything.

Anybody know where to start?

Cant tell you where to start Ime afraid but I can tell you my late father was at "El alamein" and was mentioned in despatches for distinguished service 13th january 1944,he was born and bred Stocksbridge.

just depends on what you call war heroes,the ppl served in the army.or the RAF,navy etc.some yrs ago there was a club going down to fir vale area called the services mens club where all the old service men used to meet.

just depends on what you call war heroes,the ppl served in the army.or the RAF,navy etc.some yrs ago there was a club going down to fir vale area called the services mens club where all the old service men used to meet.

It seems that the tag hero came to the fore after the Falklands conflict.

No heros' for Korea,Malaya,Suez Cyprus.

I'm looking for veterans groups for people who fought in WW2.

I'm trying to find information on Sheffield's WW2 heroes...can anybody help? I notice that among many groups there is a Normandy Veterans Association but I can't find much detail on anything.

You may find this of interest..whilst trying to do my family tree I discovered that my dads youngest brother james william hodkin (may be william james) was reportedly the last english soldier killed in the war. He was on guard duty in holland & was shot by a sniper.

Poor bloke.

cheers shawn in west oz.

I'm looking for veterans groups for people who fought in WW2.

Try contacting the Fellowship Of Services.

Mess No 218 meets at the Farm Road social on the 2nd Monday in the month they may be able to help.My dad belonged to that one and he was in WW II

Or try contacting The British Legion for info

The Normandy Veterans Assosiation used to meet every month at the old Sunbeam cinama house at the bottom of Barnsley Rd Also the Dunkirk Veterans I think that the Dunkirk Vets Have now been Disbanded I belong to the Durham Branch , The Eighth Army Veterans used to meet at Blackpool but I think that has also finished We are all die -ing off you know Time marches on Ex Matloe

I have a book here called The Lonely Battle by Desmond Wettern. It's about James Cuming, a Sheffield sailor in Shanghai off HMS Peterel. He was on shore leave when his ship was sunk and the story is about his life in the occupied country. It's a terrific story.

try the british legion sheffield branch