Did anyone here go to High Storrs school?

Hi All.        Anybody remember Janice Winterbottom,   she was there around the early sixties.         What ever happened to her?

I went to High Storrs 1947 to 1951. Remember Adams, Maths, Baker & Shaw, French, Monty, PE & others. Anyone left from that era?

On 01/11/2014 at 09:47, lindylou53 said:

Great to see the old photo of teachers from 60s at girls school. I am now trying hard to put names to faces - I was at High Storrs from 1964-71. The faces I want to get names for include the lady fourth from left top row,5th from left top row,2nd from right middle row,4th from left middle row and 4th left front row. I can recognise Margaret Baines(PE),Miss Carey(German),Miss Rodgers(French?),Miss Hogg(Domestic Science),Miss Eyre(RE). Is the lady 7th from left on front row also a Miss Eyre (Maths)? Seem to remember she was connected to some religion and she never raised her voice but everyone behaved for her.

We had a lovely Latin teacher who was not very good on discipline whose name I can't remember and also a young(ish) English teacher who was married to one of the male teachers. I also remember the scary needlework teacher - Miss Mossendew. Hope someone can jog my memory! Thank you!

Hi Lindylou53:  I am responding to an old post of yours - where can I see a copy of this photo?  I left in 1963 and can remember many of these teachers.  Re Mrs Mossendew - I was TERRIFIED of her.  However, years later my mum worked on the dress material counter in Coles and became friends with Mrs M, who turned out to be really nice.  She told my mum that she made it a policy to scare the new girls to death, because, as 11+ successes, we all thought we were the 'bees knees' and she endeavoured to bring us all down to earth with a bang!  Actually, I remember that the couple of my classmates who took Needlework on to O level said that Mrs M was totally different and was more like a big sister than the First Year ogre that we remember. 

I taught at High Storrs in the 1970's. Are there any who remember me ?

Edited by S TALBOT
Forgot to put my name.

Any of you old High Storrs pupils remember John Bailey, once of Vincent Road. He attended approx 1949 to 1954

I left in 1970...

I hated the time I spent there...bullying was not confined to pupils there were several teachers who were bullies too. The head was Miss Furtado aka Fido, head of English Mrs Drabble, maths Miss (Dotty)Beech, RE Miss Eyre, Deputy head Miss Freeman, geography Miss Chadwick, pe Misses Baines, Coupland and Alexander.

I also remember Mr Hood and Miss Pogson biology, Lindsey Carre who taught English and was my favourite teacher, the wonderful Miss Weaver who taught music and Mrs Sarkiss who tried and failed to teach me history.

On 21/10/2020 at 00:07, S TALBOT said:

I taught at High Storrs in the 1970's. Are there any who remember me ?

Sheffield Bankers hockey Player?

On 27/10/2020 at 01:20, wornout53 said:

I left in 1970...

I hated the time I spent there...bullying was not confined to pupils there were several teachers who were bullies too. The head was Miss Furtado aka Fido, head of English Mrs Drabble, maths Miss (Dotty)Beech, RE Miss Eyre, Deputy head Miss Freeman, geography Miss Chadwick, pe Misses Baines, Coupland and Alexander.

I also remember Mr Hood and Miss Pogson biology, Lindsey Carre who taught English and was my favourite teacher, the wonderful Miss Weaver who taught music and Mrs Sarkiss who tried and failed to teach me history.

Following on from my last post  - I left in 1963 and am amazed that many of the teachers I remember were still there 7 years later.  Fido, of course; Mrs Drabble, who  was our form mistress for 4th and 5th years - renowned for her question "do you see girls?" (as she sat displaying her bloomers!),; Miss Beech (who I understood to be the deputy head); Miss Eyre (a tiny lady as I remember).  

Incidentally, I hated it too and couldn't wait to leave after 5th form.........finally going on to get a degree in 1992 in Queensland, Australia! 

Edited by Bodsy

On 29/04/2019 at 14:11, wallyp said:

I went to High Storrs 1947 to 1951. Remember Adams, Maths, Baker & Shaw, French, Monty, PE & others. Anyone left from that era?

I went to High Storrs from 1947-1954 in the C from till 5th year then Lower and Upper 6th. Got wacked by nearly all the teachers. Pharoah (Physics)  with 6 feet of Bunsen burner gas pipe,  Adams after "sailing close to the wind" (with "Jimmy" a polished leather strap cut off from a railway carriage window),  Mack  (headmaster) when he got a ladle of water on his head which was meant for Brin Baker on April fools Day.  Mack came instead to give us a lecture on trying to make something of ourselves. I also remember Polly Parrot (Chemistry. Owd Bill, maths ( steel plate elbow in your earhole), who said he would eat his hat if I got GCE in maths. I did - he didn't and many other characters most of whom had patent methods of whacking. Happy Days!

There are lots of us still around.  Go to this website for the update. Welcome High Storrians : Alumni : High Storrs School   Note that there is now no Old Centralians Association. It was dissolved and The Highstorrians was formed a couple of years ago.  It is all very quiet at the moment because of Covid but register on the site to keep up to date with reunions etc.

On 06/11/2020 at 12:59, Bodsy said:

Following on from my last post  - I left in 1963 and am amazed that many of the teachers I remember were still there 7 years later.  Fido, of course; Mrs Drabble, who  was our form mistress for 4th and 5th years - renowned for her question "do you see girls?" (as she sat displaying her bloomers!),; Miss Beech (who I understood to be the deputy head); Miss Eyre (a tiny lady as I remember).  

Incidentally, I hated it too and couldn't wait to leave after 5th form.........finally going on to get a degree in 1992 in Queensland, Australia! 

Yes Miss Eyre taught RE and was small and slight and wore a built up shoe. Deputy head when I was there was Miss Freeman who had a lisp....she taught everyone how to use the library so was inevitably know as Miss Fweeman fwom the libwawy. 

Funny you should mention Mrs Drabble showing her bloomers....I was never taught by her but was taught maths by Miss Beech. We sometimes had our lessons in the music rooms where the teachers desk was on a raised platform. This meant we could see under the desk....and Miss Beech's knee length elasticated leg bloomers lol

On 21/12/2016 at 07:02, coop said:

I left in 72 and my form master was a certain history teacher/scout master who took delight in giving me the slipper daily (with a chalk cross on of course!)

History / Scouts was Tubby Wright who moved to Myers grove, then became a railway fanatic and autioneer(?)

His History lessons were like a shorthand challenge boring as ****.