Easy walking around Sheffield

My wife and I are staying near Millthorpe for the week 14-21 Oct.

We both like walking but for health reasons she is not up to hill walks or anything too strenuous.

We visited Linacre and Ladybower reservoirs on an earlier visit and really enjoyed it.

Can anyone suggest similar easy walks around Sheffield?

We will come by car so transport is not a problem

Dave

Hi Davyboy, sorry but what area is Millthorpe? as i thought i knew Sheffield and surrounding districts well. Is it Chesterfield area. :confused:

Hi Davyboy, sorry but what area is Millthorpe? as i thought i knew Sheffield and surrounding districts well. Is it Chesterfield area. :confused:

It's a few miles south of Sheffield..in (dare I say it ) Derbyshire near Holmesfield , Dronfield and Baslow. There is a narrow road from the Owler Bar roundabout to Baslowthat goes thro' it.

May i sugest 'Grindelford' its not far from the area you mention.If you park in the village near, to the shops. A nice virtually flat walk up the river Derwent to to 'Hathersage' another village larger than Grinelford.The track can and will be muddy in places depending on the weather.Accsess at 'Grinelford' is through a small gate or stile near to the bridge,thats L/H side of the river looking upstream.Unfortunately its not a round walk without adding hills.

Hope this helps. :)

A good walk that isn’t too strenuous starts from a little car park just down the road from the Fox House Inn, simply follow the track to the east of the stream, you have fine views of Higger Tor and Carl Wark on the right and views of Burbage Rocks on the left Map here

When you reach the road you have the option of either going back or carrying on up the slight rise over cowper stone to Stanage Edge, after you pass the trig point the path along the top of the edge is mostly flat with fine views towards Bamford.

When you’ve had enough retrace your steps back to the car, the Fox House Inn up the road is OK for a decent pub meal, the Yorkshire Bridge just outside Bamford is nice too but does involve a bit of a drive to get there.

I hope you enjoy your visit and that the weather stays nice for you.

thank you for those suggestions.

I was confused when I mentioned Baslow in my post in should have been of course Barlow!

Dave

On Monday my wife and I did the Grindleford walk suggested by me and pippo.

We didn't quite make Hethersage but it was a really pleasant stroll.

On Thursday we walked thro' the woods around the Linacre Reservoirs again very pleasant.

We were very lucky with the weather and had a very relaxing week.

By the way the Angel Inn in Holmesfield does a very nice lunch/dinner which includes gluten free meals for those with Coeliac disease and gluten fre beer..

Tuesday evenings is a totally gluten free menu.

My sis in law was well pleased as she suffers from this infliction.

Thanks to Inn Spire CAMRA mag for that info.

Hi Davyboy. A beautiful flat walk we did just the other week is following the old railway bed from Bakewell to Monsal Head. (We did a loop including a walk along the river too but the hills were a bit steep. :rolleyes: ) There are several walks along the many river valleys that you can follow. Just in the immediate Sheffield district you have the Porter, Rivelin and Loxley. If you have an OS map you can see where the paths follow the river level and don't require moving up or down the contours too much.

You can look up the details of areas' topography and paths here. Enter a destination and zoom in and out to suit. :)

thanks purdy amos,

I'll bear that in mind for my next visit.

Unfortunately we are now back home in wet Kent although my S IN L tells me it's abit wet in Sheffield.

Dave

Hi davyboy,nice to hear you and your wife found the Grindlelford walk to your likeing. And thank's for mentioning me in your post, glad you enjoyed the countryside in our area. :thumbsup:

Whereabouts in Kent, Davyboy? I was Canterbury born, grew up Faversham area, up and down the rail and road corridor. God I miss the sea. :)

Whereabouts in Kent, Davyboy? I was Canterbury born, grew up Faversham area, up and down the rail and road corridor. God I miss the sea. :)

Originally I was from Romford but moved to Thanet 40 years ago for work and cheaper housing..

We often shop in Canterbury but have only been to Faversham once.

We visit my wife's sister in Sheffield a couple of times a year, she is from Essex too but married a Sheffield Wednesday fan (although she didn't know it at the time):D

I suppose you know Oare and the Faversham creeks, good bird watching areas.