What constitutes a classic car?

I once heard someone describe a classic car as one that, when you open the bonnet you can look at the engine bay, and see the ground underneath. I think the point they were trying to make is that modern cars have their engine bays full of modern electronics. However even this 'definition' fails - anyone looked at the engine bay of a MGB V8!

As far as I am concerned, if people are enthusiastic about their cars - great. I own a Scimitar 1967 Coupe, and a Scimitar 1977 GTE - most people agree these are classics - but I am just as interested in hearing enthusiasts talking about Mk1 Fiestas!

Good luck to all motorists in this anti-car government age!

TB

It's a poor reflection of the motor industry that things become classic after only 15 years. That article implies that the vehicle has to be in good condition and I don't agree that it is only a classic if it's in good nick although some may say any car that's very old is a classic car whereas others would say it's a pile of junk. All very subjective.

I agree it is subjective and that is just someones definition,,,not an article.... but i feel that you have too much faith in the motor industry ...cars turn into 'classics' in spite of the industry..do you remember lancia betas...a wonderful car but sadly built of sub-standard steel ..i bet there isn't one left anywhere ( and wasn't 2 years after they were made) ..if we all kept or cars in good condition ..especialy those produced post 1985 which dont rot as much there would be no motor industry,,,they are in business so they try and crush our old cars so they can turn out new..i wonder how much emissions we have saved by not buying a ( or several) new cars.

to me a classic is a car that was a turning point in either car design or the fortunes of the company that produced it...it could be a year old or 50

i would personally say that to me a classic car has got to be the 69 pontiac GTO, 69 pontiac trans am, or the 69 dodge charger. call me sad but i love american muscle.

i would personally say that to me a classic car has got to be the 69 pontiac GTO, 69 pontiac trans am, or the 69 dodge charger. call me sad but i love american muscle.
you might hate me 4 this but if u go on http://www.wellbent.cjb.net and click on "firecracker"u will see some very nice muscle cars :thumbsup:

yes you are right 5p then
:suspect:

well any car 20 ~25years old is a classic that's when they start to get rare metros mk1+2 give them a few more years yet

but its what you :love: in the end

what is the UI90 car ? I met one last week, it is really beautiful.

:suspect:

well any car 20 ~25years old is a classic that's when they start to get rare metros mk1+2 give them a few more years yet

but its what you :love: in the end

The MG Metro celebrated its 20th birthday in 2002 complete with birthday cake

MK1 metros are quite rare when was the last time you saw one of these on the road ? MK1 Metro 1 MK1 Metro 2 MK1 Metro 3 MK1 Metro 4

The MG Metro celebrated its 20th birthday in 2002 complete with birthday cake

MK1 metros are quite rare when was the last time you saw one of these on the road ? MK1 Metro 1 MK1 Metro 2 MK1 Metro 3 MK1 Metro 4

yes did see a good mk 1 about 7~8 weeks ago but are rare now like you say do you do all your own work on yours? inc welding

nice photos:cool:

you can see the mini owners queuing 4 the engines:hihi:

1275 go 4 about 250 on eBay i have had 5 metros 1 mg mk1 red 1 mk1 red

mk2 black gta white 30 000 miles from new burnt out i was gutted and so was the car:hihi: and my blue one when i got it 32000 miles 60000 now as i worked in froghall staffs 4 a year had the car 3 years now its my work horse

to stop rust

i spray chain oil in all the cavities every year b4 winter 3 tins do the whole car £1 50 a tin:thumbsup:

yes did see a good mk 1 about 7~8 weeks ago but are rare now like you say do you do all your own work on yours? inc welding

I do as much work as I can, but have friend who's mechanic if I'm stuck, so far I've not had to do any welding as of yet on my turbo metro, but had welding done on GTI metro as this was my workhorse and lived outside all it's life, but the tin worm eventually got the better of him and was broken up.

Had an 1984 A reg MK1 MG metro for a short time, had to let it go as we had no space for it at the time, wish I still had it now. Got my MK2 Turbo metro in 1991, was my first car still got it today, cost me a fortune to insure at the time but I didn't care. Got MK3 GTI metro in 1996 used it everyday till about summer 2004.

you can see the mini owners queuing 4 the engines:hihi:

Had an arument with some guy on ebay who bought a mint MK2 turbo metty to break up for his mini, told him mini tubo convesrions were 10 a penny and best keep the metro in one piece, such a shame to break up a mint car.

Rachel,

Hate them all! But then you've probably got some harsh words for a 2 x Lotus owner. That's the beauty of our hobby - each to their own. I suspect we all love the cars that we wanted to own when we first passed our test.

Regards, Andrew

Rachel,

Hate them all! But then you've probably got some harsh words for a 2 x Lotus owner. That's the beauty of our hobby - each to their own. I suspect we all love the cars that we wanted to own when we first passed our test.

Regards, Andrew

I got my 1972 BMW 3.0CSL cos it was dream car when I was a kid. I have had 3 Audi Quattro URs and wish I still had one so I am trying to decide why I shouldn't buy this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220110583872&rd=1&rd=1