What constitutes a classic car?

That is subjective though, as the MG Maestro Turbo has been a classic for a while and it is 17
I was just quoting the link and in fact I got classic car insurance on a 1989 Saab 9000 Carlsson. Some folk say that certain new cars are instant classics such as Bugatti Veyron, personally I would disagree with that on any car.

A Veyron is expensive and exclusive, but I don't see how it can be classic.

The debate regarding classic cars can go on and on as it has in many classic car magazines. There are many cars you could argue are future classics good example is a Veyron, a Saab 9000 Carlsson also can hold it’s own in the classic car world. But speaking as someone who runs a classic car restoration business for 13 years I do not see the time when we will be inundated with fiestas and metros. Ok certain very rare versions 6R4 etc but the shopping trolleys of yesteryear are best left to the crusher

up to now reading this group has been like giving a starving dog a rubber bone

Well hiss off to some other forum if it doesn't interest or satisfy you. Personally i'm not in the slightest bit interested in the knitting forum, so I've not posted, I've kept my mouth shut, i've certainly not gone on there slagging off people about their passion and interest, what some people find interesting other people dont, thats life, thats people, thats their business, just accept that, life would be boring if we all had the same interests.

But speaking as someone who runs a classic car restoration business for 13 years I do not see the time when we will be inundated with fiestas and metros. Ok certain very rare versions 6R4 etc but the shopping trolleys of yesteryear are best left to the crusher

Your missing the point, generally speaking most people interested in fiestas, metro's etc would stay well clear of your car restoration business and restore their car themselves or with a small group of people, thats the whole fun of it, they are relatively easy to work on, the shopping baskets of yesteryear "as you quote" are the ones that most people like yourself dismiss and quickly become a quite rare sight on our roads.

A mark 1 Fiesta is not, and never will be a classic car. It may be a old car, it may be a crap car and it may be a uninteresting car to drive. Classic car status for mk 1 fiestas is but a fantasy in the minds of those masochists who punish themselves through ownership.

Well thats your opinion, whos to say your right or wrong in your mind. Take a MK1 Ford Anglia for example wasn't that just a basic every day car once ? So within time why shouldn't the Fiesta be the same ?

Living at a bodyshop (not in it on the premises), where lots of classic cars are restored, has given me an insite as to what people call a classic car. Now for someone working in a restoration garage to say in public that a Fiesta or any other car is not a classic is surely turning business away. At John Bee's the team are all proud to say that they will work on any car of any age, be it considered a classic or not. They won't turn a restoration down because they don't think the car is a classic.

Well thats your opinion, whos to say your right or wrong in your mind. Take a MK1 Ford Anglia for example wasn't that just a basic every day car once ? So within time why shouldn't the Fiesta be the same ?

You make my point exactly, yes clearly a Ford Anglia is coincided a classic car but by you own post a fiesta is not yet (but may be in time)

Is the Mk1 fiesta Xr2 a classic?

I personally think it is :)

If any of them make the grade in years to come then yes it should be an early XR2

Well hiss off to some other forum if it doesn't interest or satisfy you. Personally i'm not in the slightest bit interested in the knitting forum, so I've not posted, I've kept my mouth shut, i've certainly not gone on there slagging off people about their passion and interest, what some people find interesting other people dont, thats life, thats people, thats their business, just accept that, life would be boring if we all had the same interests.

So maybe we should have a real classic car group then for us that have no interest in shopping trolleys. And here I was thinking this was one :loopy: