What constitutes a classic car?

I keep dropping in to have a look at this supposed classic car group to see if there is anything interesting going on and guess what. All that seems to get posted is thread after thread of crap about metros and fiesta’s.

Not to mention the 41 posts about the stolen Metro I nearly bit all me fingernails off over that one. As for the posts asking for valuations on old Marinas and such like here’s 10p get it down the scrap yard and do us all a favour.

Lets hear about proper classis cars, lets see some pictures, lets hear some interesting stories about ownership and driving, up to now reading this group has been like giving a starving dog a rubber bone

I've got 3 classic cars. A 1972 BMW 3.0csl, a Volvo 1800es and a Saab 99 turbo. I passed my test in a Marina, I think 10p is a bit generous.

I hate to tell you but a MK I Fiesta IS a proper 'modern' classic, Practical Classic Magazine acknowledge it as such. What kind of classics are you on about?

What constitutes a classic car depends on your age I think. My favourite cars are mainly from teens when we used to drool over things and that's why I got my csl. I go to Goodwood most years and everything from 70s is good to me. Veteran and vintage stuff doesn't do it for me.

bring back the horse and cart!

I hate to tell you but a MK I Fiesta IS a proper 'modern' classic, Practical Classic Magazine acknowledge it as such. What kind of classics are you on about?

A mark 1 Fiesta is not, and never will be a classic car. It may be a old car, it may be a crap car and it may be a uninteresting car to drive. Classic car status for mk 1 fiestas is but a fantasy in the minds of those masochists who punish themselves through ownership.

I've been to classic car shows where people have turned up in Allegros so maybe a Fiesta could get in although it doesn't have a square steering wheel for us to laugh at.

I've got 3 classic cars. A 1972 BMW 3.0csl, a Volvo 1800es and a Saab 99 turbo. I passed my test in a Marina, I think 10p is a bit generous.

yes you are right 5p then

Nothing wrong with a Marina in my eyes.. Very much a classic car.

I am afraid I am not one to encourage elitism in the classic car movement.

The group is aimed as a resource for us locally to find out where best to get parts for our cars, bodyshops, help and advice. If you would like to contribute postively rather than make a mockery of existing members cars then please do.

In the next year I am hoping we can start up some regular meets (all classics welcome) and also have a stand at some local shows.

If you look at one of the threads poor Phylis has had an accident in her fiesta. Now there has already been one post offering parts to repair the vehicle.

This is what it is all about fellow enthusiast helping each other out.

Everybody has different ideas as to what a classic car is. I personally believe that the MK1 Fiesta is a classic. When was the last time you saw one?

What year would Mk I be? My gran still drives a fiesta on a C plate.