Springfield School

Hi Willy nice to hear from you. Don't know if I told you but servar Khan passed on, he used to live up broom spring lane .He lived in Germany and was in Sheffield visiting his family, was rushed into hospital with a stomach complaint, and died that night.

Keep well, Jack.

hiya jackd, yes you to told me of servors passing the last time I saw him was when we were around 16/17 out side the city hall, he was telling me that he couldn't get a job and was thinking of joining up as a boy soldier never heard after that, saw his brother Trevor some years afterwards he was working in the carpet shop at the top of the moor.

name just come to me do you remember the hadleys another called albert peck,and billy telfer, these were a bit older than us.

hiya just been on site where there were some photo's of kids at school, they were sent in by Maureen flood her dad was if I remember rightly lol flood Harvey flood of the raven pub,was her grandfather i think I only recognized one that was dennis Bartholomew. there was also two football teams one a school eleven, the other was one of not sure if it was known as broomhall sports, they played at enks.looking at the class photo again i think one was brian brook, ron ridge

Edited by willybite

hi does anybody know my dad PETE HUKIN? born on stanwood cresent stannington D.O.B 2-3-1939 thank you for any information

any old school pupils from 1943/53 springfield school

don't be shy al not bite the eard off.

Edited by willybite

Hello,

I recently discovered Sheffield Forum and have been enjoying trips down memory lane on the various threads. I lived on Broomspring Lane (lower section, same side as Springfield School). Not too from the Carr family you mentioned.

I attended said school from 1946 to 1952/53?. My mother, Mrs. Franks, was a dinner lady whom you mentioned in one of your threads. Also mentioned was my older brother, Peter (now deceased). I also have two older sisters, Audrey and Betty, (both still living) who also went to the school.

I remember a lot of the names and places you and others have mentioned.

I had a friend in Victoria Street named Annette White, do you have a connection to her?

I will never forget my first day at Springfield, mum dropped me off at the Cavendish St, entrance and I took off via the back entrance on Bolton St. and was back home before her. Naturally, I received an earful and was immediately marched back.

I married in the 60's and emigrated to Canada, where I continue to live.

Looking for info on Genefax House!

My firm F.H. Wheeler was an electrical contractor, for General Refractories and as an apprentice I was seconded to their head office in Broomhill.

It was an old mansion with stables for horses and carriages, which now housed Bentleys and Rollers.

The young girls that worked there were really nice!

Good grief I've just come across this page.. I went to the infants and junior school in the 70s... Mrs Lydamore was head teacher in the infants.. When you finished reading a book you used to go to see her to get a sweetie out of her tin 🤣🤣🤣 in the juniors miss old field and miss Jackson were on the bottom floor.. Then there was Mr Knowles Mr Wareham and miss raw on the middle floor... Miss Ford miss kay and can't remember the others.. Mr Knowles and Wareham moved up to top floor as we moved through school.. Mr carter was headmaster he used to give the boys the slipper or the cane... Mr Dutton was the caretaker and miss finney was in the staff room with the TV on wheels inside a cupboard 🤣🤣🤣 she also did woolley crafty things in the staff room... I remember watching words and picture omg... At snack we got our milk and you could buy a tupenny biscuit in purple foil or a Dundee biscuit... Simple days they were the best xxx

Anyone at Springfield in the 50's will remember Miss Hall. There was one thing that she was "famous" for and I am pleased to say that I had got her a mention in the Red Box e-mail circulated by The Times today.

The question that they asked was "Yesterday Esther asked who should replace Gavin Williamson as education"

My reply "My old school teacher, Miss Hall, would be good. She would attend cabinet with an ample supply of blackboard rubbers and chalk, ready to hurl them at any members not paying attention."

No less than she deserved.

Irene broadhurst is/was my Nan. 

I would love to find some of my living relatives if possible as I lost touch many years ago. 

On 24/02/2005 at 20:12, suzyoo said:

hey i was at spring onions in the fifties, my brothers and sisters went there before me.

i knew a girl called s grayson, i went to tapton too. did you have black hair? it was a good school, the dinner lady (at springfield) used to ration out the toilet paper as i recall. the headmaster and his wife were mr and mrs holdsworth. we had to go right up abbydale to some playing fields to do sports, and she took us to her house as a surprise one day.

I too went to Springfield school in the mid-fifties with it being nearest to my home in Victoria street, firstly going to the infants and then onto the Juniors.

My headmaster and headmistress was Mr and Mrs Holdsworth, and I remember well Miss Hall who use to play the piano in the lower hall whilst we danced pretending to be trees in the wind - nasty old bad tempered woman. Mrs holdsworth took my class to Beuachief Abbey to do brass rubbings on some of the old graves and afterwards took  all the class to her house where she gave us cakes and orange juice in her garden.

One year whilst at junior school, myself and a girl named Sandra South were awarded a free pass to any swimming baths in Sheffield with us being the best boy and girl swimmers in the school ( we were taken to Glossop  Road baths by the school once a week ). After being in the juniors I went to Tapton.

Although I'm now 71 years of age, I remember everything in clarity about my time in both the infants and the juniors.