Sign in to follow this  

Connecting to ADSL & networks

Well I finally came out of the dark ages and had broadband installed at home with a fab new wireless ADSL router.

Now of course I have the problem of having 2 networks, one at work and one at home, both with different DNS addresses, etc.

How do I set up XP so that I can just connect the laptop to one or the other without messing with the settings? Is it something to do with not using the network bridge?

I think you could do it with a wireless LAN, but that would involve installing extra equipment. Not sure of another way to do it without you just add another network connection.

There is an option to detect and connect to unsecured connections. If you select that it will automatically connect to your router and forward the connection to the internet.

If you go here:

XP forum

you'll get an answer for everything XP.

I did it!!! With a little help.

I added another Default Gateway :)

Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

I'm thinking of buying this wirless ADSL router to network my house.

I know through spec detials that it has a built in modem which is what I need, but I can't seem to find anywhere that say's if it has a built in firewall!

I.e. To negate the need to have a firewall on my PC and/or laptop.

I'll be using it to wirelessly connect to my Desktop and Laptop to the web as well as each other. Anyone have any experience of this or another reasonably priced router?

It hasn't got a fiewall. To be honest your probably better with a seperate firewall anyway, if you have an old spare PC knocking around then I can highly recommend http://www.smoothwall.org. These do a free firewall that is highly effective.

I thought that, but I thought if I could get one with a firewall built in, it would do away with all the hassle of setting up and correctly configing seperate firewalls on the PC n Laptop.

Any suggestions of a similarly priced ADSL Router with built in modem and firewall?

i have a 3com wireless router that has a built in firewall. only 60quid and very good.

OK... so I picked up a Sitecom Wireless Network PCI Card 11Mbps for the PC in hopes that it will do the network trick.

I removed what I now know (as I'm a newbie to the techy side of things) a IEEE 1394 card which I think has something to do with Firewire or Digital Video capturing on your PC? Am I right? I needed the bay (or whatever you call it) at the back of the PC cos the other one was taken up by the internal ADSL modem I installed.

Now I could have taken out the 56k modem... but you never know when you'll need it right? However like a plonka I inserted the WiFi PCI card 'before' I installed the driver from my CD. The book (which I looked at after installation) advises installing the driver first. Now not wanting to take apart the PC put everything back where it was, THEN install the driver and THEN reinstall the PCI card, I just installed the software from the PC anyway.

However upon loading the PC up, it didn't find any new hardware. Oh dear!

So I cant use the damn PCI card at the moment. What am I to do?

Take it apart (please dont say that) and remove the PCI card and reinsert the IEEE1394 card. Or can I uninstall the driver for the IEEE1934 card and hope that XP then picks up the new device.

Is this a bad idea? I'm looking for the wealth of knowledge you guys have first!

Suggestions?