Looking to buy near Sheffield

Hi

I'm looking to buy somewhere in Sheffield, have around a £120k budget (so not much to work with), and am confusing myself more each day from what I learn.

I've looked at various areas and obviously all seem to have pros and cons, however not being from round Sheffield I'm no good with knowing specifics. For example, it's true to say that all places/areas have good estates and bad estates but where these are I don't know as I know nothining of reputations etc.

I guess thefore, It's the lack of familiarity with Sheffield that is unnerving me, especially as I have never lived in a city.

My job is in the centre of Sheff and I haven't got a driving license so public transport is my only option. I'd preferably only like to travel in and out for less than 40 mins and am also taking into consideration taxi costs when on a night out.

I guess what I'm looking for is some advice, but also some specifics to help with this difficult decision. For example, if someone says Handsworth is nice/ok/bad/indifferent, where abouts do they mean?

I'm also considering renting a flat/apartment short-term in the area so I can take my time to decide on a property and also to get more accustomed to Sheffield.

So far, I've looked at/heard about the South East, ie Beighton, Sothall etc. Handsworth and Wincobank to the East, and towards the West, areas such as Fulwood, Ranmoor, Lodgemoor, Crookes, Broomhill etc etc. However, considering my budget a lot of these areas are out of my price range.

Any ideas or help please? Maybe some 'if I were in your shoes' thoughts?

Many thanks

With that sort of budget, if I were in your shoes, knowing what I know about Sheffield having moved here 30 years ago (god is it 30 years, where's my life gone?), having experienced living in many areas of the city, all things considered, at the end of the day I'd suggest Hillsborough, Walkley, Loxley, Wadsley and other areas near by in the north west. Try doing a search on the forum for comments about these areas.

Good luck.

What about Chapeltown? Its about 20-30 mins out of the city, has a train station, 2 mins from the M1, ASDA, loads of shops and food places.

There are a quite a few estates aswell (nice estates) that I think would be in your price range.

How about Chesterfield ? the housing is cheaper than Sheffield and there is a pretty good train service into and out of Sheffield, 20 minutes in a taxi, and you have the bonus of living in a medieval market town. ( including the medieval folks who live here too). Maybe Dronfield might be easier it's half way between the two.Good luck.

meersbrook is a good option, Burngreave is much better now that it used to be and very central. dont go to darnal, firvale, can't think of any others at the moment.

:)

Id try Norton ,its a good area and very easy to get into town from there. Also Dronfield you can get nice 3 bed semi for about 120K buses go down town and a taxi for a night out is about £8 ,black cab home 10. Its got a fair few pubs but it can get quiet.

halfway/owlthorpe are great for the tram service and they have plenty of properties to choose from , most of the properties there are in nice areas with plenty of country side on the doorstep.

i know of a property for sale for £99k that might be suitable for you, pm, me.

Caron

I'd try Loxley, Stannington areas. Only 30 minutes into town, good shopping centre (Hillsborough) only 10 minutes away yet extremely close to the splendours of the countryside and peak district.

If you have 120k to spend you might consider buying a flat/apartment in the city centre. I think theres always a few coming up at West One - you wont even miss not having a car - no spending on travelling to work, or for nights out (I was surprised how much i was spending on travel - it leeks from the pockets without you really noticing)

Of course, not everyone wants to live in a flat - and it goes without saying that you can get somewhere much bigger and nicer out of town for 120k.

good luck!

edd

Hiya.

Point No. 1) Are you - jatkinson, the same guy on Digital Spy?

Point No. 2) Walkley and Stannington are good (cheap areas). Craig, now resides in one of those - see my post abotu the confusion "Bell Hagg Road, Sheff/Low Road Sheff. Yks" in the General Chat section.

There property in Bell Hagg Road were only around £145,000 for a 3 bed property. And Low Road £150,000 - I presume that you are aware that up there there estate agent stystem is different.

Down here - Estate Agent: "Yes, it's worth £170,000, stick it up for £169,000. (You know you'll pretty much get 2k or so less than what you ask for)

Up in Sheffield: Estate Agent: "Yes, it's worth £170,000, put it up for £170,000 and they ask higher - so they are effectively biding". How high do you bid? You may say OK, I'll give you £173,500 and someone may say i'll give you £175k - how high do you go - you have to cut yourself on how high you go.

It's roughly along those lines isn't it?

Good Luck on finding somewhere.

:thumbsup: