Why is the new inner ring road (Corporation St) taking so long to build...

Bearing in mind that the 69 miles of main line railway over Shap summit ("the roof of England") was built in only two and a half years ((Jun 1844 to Dec 1846)) just using muscle power and dynamite, why is it taking so long in 2006 to complete a mile or two of the new inner ring road around Corparation St ?

As far as I`m aware they`ve been at it since late 2004 and it`s still far from completed, "Slower By Design" possibly.. (like the Midland Mainline service to London but that`s a different story !)

could it be that the shap work was done without thousands of commuters, and no interference from planner,H&S etc etc.

I think it's most likely due to the following issues;

- In a work force of 6 men, 1 digs whilst 5 stand leaning on their spades and watch

- They arrive for work at 9:30, have a cuppa, start work at 10:00, take a bacon butty break at 10:30, start back to work at 11:20. Dinner break 12:00 til 14:00, further tea break at 15:00, back to work at 15:30 and then off home at 16:00.

ooh nice barb at MML there at the end. presume you mean it takes longer now than a few years ago...well if that means getting there at the stated time is that a bad thing? I thnk we're pretty lucky considering they are the most punctual train company for the past 2 years,new trains,top of customer satisfaction survey..fares from £6..but no matter what they do they'll never please all the people all the time...

bit like Corparation Street.....it's taking sooo long because the work has had to be done while maintaining a working road to allow people to attempt to get to where they going...hence it takes a long time.

Rome wasn't built in a day..and lets face it..as soon as it's open the moaners will be out in force dissin it, slating it and writing threads about it on here.!!

God bless Sheffieldiers :)

ooh nice barb at MML there at the end. presume you mean it takes longer now than a few years ago...well if that means getting there at the stated time is that a bad thing? I thnk we're pretty lucky considering they are the most punctual train company for the past 2 years,new trains,top of customer satisfaction survey..fares from £6..but no matter what they do they'll never please all the people all the time...

bit like Corparation Street.....it's taking sooo long because the work has had to be done while maintaining a working road to allow people to attempt to get to where they going...hence it takes a long time.

Rome wasn't built in a day..and lets face it..as soon as it's open the moaners will be out in force dissin it, slating it and writing threads about it on here.!!

I was told the other day that they are expecting some part of it to be open by May next year, but if you want to know about taking a long time what about that bit near the railway station. Fred Flinstone first started building that and its still not done:hihi:

Well they announced it would complete in Summer 07 over 5 years ago, so its hardly a surprise.

They are on schedule.

I know this isn`t really relevant to this subject but Midland Mainline is a bone of contention to me, sometime I`ll get round to starting a subject on them but for now....

What really annoys me about them is that the main reason they`re more punctual is that they`ve just added time to all the services ! In fact the service is no faster now than it was 20 years ago and it wasn`t that fast then...... I accept that the ECML from Doncaster is a faster route but the difference in speed between MML and GNER is HUGE. In fact it`s about 40mins faster on average. Sheffield must have one of the slowest services to London of any city of equivalent size.

As for the new trains I preferred the old ones ! I find them more comfortable and not having an engine under the coach (as the new ones do) makes them significantly quieter.

Do you by any chance work for them ?!?

Well they announced it would complete in Summer 07 over 5 years ago, so its hardly a surprise.

They are on schedule.

The point is why should it take 3 years (THREE YEARS ! ) when, with no machinery, they built a main line railway over a mountain in two and a half years in the 1840s !

It's not just digging a bit of road and slapping some new tarmac down.

If you're that bothered go ask for the plans and ask someone involved in the project...through the Freedom Of Information act.

What really annoys me about them is that the main reason they`re more punctual is that they`ve just added time to all the services ! In fact the service is no faster now than it was 20 years ago and it wasn`t that fast then...... I accept that the ECML from Doncaster is a faster route but the difference in speed between MML and GNER is HUGE. In fact it`s about 40mins faster on average. Sheffield must have one of the slowest services to London of any city of equivalent size.

This is true, but it's not MML's fault; blame George Hudson. He's the one who built the line twisting and turning every which way, when Stephenson went for direct lines from one major city to another.

On most of the line between Sheffield and London, it'd be unsafe to travel at above 90mph without the train getting derailed at bends; on most of the line from Doncaster to London, it can do 140mph and not even blink. If you travel half as fast again, you can cut journey time by a third, right?

It's the same reason the Sheffield-London line was never electrified - it wouldn't help. They can't even use it at the maximum speed of diesel trains, never mind the faster electric ones.