Why do so few drivers ever admit they`re in the wrong ?

This is a question I would genuinely be interested in people answering because I`ve tried to resolve it myself so often (without success...), but why do so few drivers admit that they`re in the wrong even when it`s obvious they are ?

I give this example simply because it is an objective open and shut case plus I actually got the chance to "talk" to the driver.

Just the other week some cretin in a silver open top BMW went through a red light just as I was about to cross, and I`m not talking as the light changed, it was 3 or 4 seconds later. Unlike him with his driving I used all my powers of self discipline to avoid swearing at him and simply pointed out he`d just gone through the light. His response ? Feeling a little chastened perhaps ? Possibly a bit guilty and apologetic (as I would feel if I`d have been in his position) ? Absolutely not, he started raving on like I`d suggested his wife had shagged half of Sheffield.

Why do drivers not admit they`re at fault and (wait for it........) actually apologise ?

Is it because :

1 They`re such morons they don`t even realise they`re in error ?

2 They realise they`re in the wrong but they just don`t care ?

(Which of the numbers 1 and 2 is worse ?)

3 They object to anyone critisising their driving ? (though they are then failing to understand their responsibility to all the other road users)

Can you think of any other reason ?

I generally find that most of the drivers I share the road with will acknowledge a **** up with a sheepish grin or a wave of the hand. Certainly there are far too many aggressive morons out there who won't, but I believe they are in the minority.

i personally think i's embarassment. they all think they're perfect & able to criticise everyone else. which could tie in with number 3.

similarly i experience it everyday as most drivers do,but i just smile & think at least i'm still here to be annoyed about it.

personally if i'm in the wrong - i will raise my hand (although the other driver does occasionally continue to rant) i mean i cut a driver up ACCIDENTALLY, going through a red light & he continued on about it for ages. even posting it on the web.:hihi::D

Generally i think some people don't even realise they're in the wrong. The other day i had a driver constantly weaving in and out of my lane on park square roundabout, if he was indicating to switch lanes or even wanted to switch lanes i'd have let him in no problem but he wasn't. When he went back in his own lane i went back to normal speed as i'd slowed right down because of him, he then still started to come into my lane nearly hitting me so i pipped, he went back into his lane, then back half into mine again so i pipped again and then he continued to pip at me the rest of the way round, that was either him thinking i was in the wrong somehow or embarassment so he wanted other people to think someone else not him was in the wrong because he was sounding his horn for so long. Rant over (it really annoyed me :rant: )

If i do something wrong, which we all do, i do take responsibility and put my hand up and think about it and try to not to make the same mistake again.

It could be he didn`t know where he was going, that roundabout can be confusing for those who don`t know it.

I do think it unfortunate that because one gets selfish bozos (there`s a word we haven`t seen for a while....) trying to jump Qs ((by using wrong lanes on purpose etc)) people who are actually unaware of the road layout get tarred with the same brush.

I can remember being stuck in the wrong lane in Liverpool recently (purely because I didn`t know) till I`d already "jumped" half the Q, fortunately someone let me in but I felt guilty......