Breastfeeding beyond a year ??

I guess this could be a very sensitive thread and ive not done it to make mums feel bad but i wanted to know if there were any other mums still breastfeeding past a year my son is now 27months old and still has 2 feeds a day, im also fully feeding my 4 month old daughter,

Just wondered if anyone else did it as friends are quite shocked if we mention it

Angie xxx

I guess this could be a very sensitive thread and ive not done it to make mums feel bad but i wanted to know if there were any other mums still breastfeeding past a year my son is now 27months old and still has 2 feeds a day, im also fully feeding my 4 month old daughter,

Just wondered if anyone else did it as friends are quite shocked if we mention it

Angie xxx

Me too - fed my frst son untl 2.5y and my second s stll feedng at 27 months:D Most people thought was strange too - felt perfectly natural to me.:suspect:

Sorry stll havng problems wth 'eye' key snce son 1 was very sck on laptop at the weekend:gag: Hope you can understand my reply:D

Me too - fed my frst son untl 2.5y and my second s stll feedng at 27 months:D - sorry stll havng problems wth 'eye' key snce son 1 was very sck on laptop at the weekend:gag:

Glad im not the only one,

im also a breatfeeding supporter for surestart :) i was fed till i was 2.5

Glad im not the only one,

im also a breatfeeding supporter for surestart :) i was fed till i was 2.5

!m a breastfeedng peer supporter for S6 - small world:) !t wasnt the 'done th!ng' for a young mum to breastfeed !n the early 70's so ! wasnt breastfed at all:(

I read something in new scientist that suggested that breast feeding for 1 year was the best thing to do and that beyond that might actually be detrimental, i'll see if i can find the article.

edit - afraid I can't find it from a quick search

im on s2 :) nice to make a change to mums,

ill wait till i read the article but i cant see how its detrimental to health, after all there getting all the goodness from it ( my son gets double as im also making baby milk )

i've read things that suggest that BFing for too long is detrimental to health, too - physically no (as long as they're getting solids too), but emotionally yes. the gist of it seems to be (this really is dragging stuff out of old dusty memories) that the older the child is the more sentient it is, and so taking the BFs away can cause feelings of worthlessness and attachment problems. however, i was under the impression that most kids eventually turn down the boobs when they're offered anyway, so i'm sure if there are any emotional problems it's in a minority of children.

incidentally, and i assume this doesnt apply to any ladies on here (but who knows?) there was a lengthy study done somewhere in central africa on vitamin supplements, BFing, and number of children. the outcome is basically that the quality of your milk decreases with each child - the effect is presumably negligable for the first few kids, but by the time you get to 9 kids the milk is of low enough quality that the children pretty much need vitamin supplements otherwise they're very susceptible to vitamin deficiency related problems.

I read something in new scientist that suggested that breast feeding for 1 year was the best thing to do and that beyond that might actually be detrimental, i'll see if i can find the article.

edit - afraid I can't find it from a quick search

Was !t th!s

....not sure about !t myself - but then aga!n my fam!ly arent prone to allerges. The WHO reccommend feedng for 2y and the DoH recommend 1y here:thumbsup: That artcle also suggest that breastfeedng produces chl;dren who are better able to cope wth stress later !n l!fe.

ED!T - just real!sed !t was talk!ng about exclus!ve breastfeedng past 1y - !.e. no sol!d foods:o

i've read things that suggest that BFing for too long is detrimental to health, too - physically no (as long as they're getting solids too), but emotionally yes. the gist of it seems to be (this really is dragging stuff out of old dusty memories) that the older the child is the more sentient it is, and so taking the BFs away can cause feelings of worthlessness and attachment problems. however, i was under the impression that most kids eventually turn down the boobs when they're offered anyway, so i'm sure if there are any emotional problems it's in a minority of children.

incidentally, and i assume this doesnt apply to any ladies on here (but who knows?) there was a lengthy study done somewhere in central africa on vitamin supplements, BFing, and number of children. the outcome is basically that the quality of your milk decreases with each child - the effect is presumably negligable for the first few kids, but by the time you get to 9 kids the milk is of low enough quality that the children pretty much need vitamin supplements otherwise they're very susceptible to vitamin deficiency related problems.

! can see how that m!ght happen - but w!thdrawal can happen !n a gentle way. Could !t be s!m!lar to tak!ng away a dummy?

! wonder !f the qua!lty th!ng !s as much of an !ssue !n the western world where people 'generally' have a 'better' d!et - !nterest!ng btw:D

can see how that mght happen - but wthdrawal can happen n a gentle way. Could t be smlar to takng away a dummy?

! wonder !f the qua!lty th!ng !s as much of an !ssue !n the western world where people 'generally' have a 'better' d!et - !nterest!ng btw:D

i like your replacement i very much

:D

yes, i thought the diet issue was likely to be relevent to westerners too, but i guess that could be harder to investigate as it's not that common for western women to have that many children.

while i agree that withdrawal from breast feeding can happen in a gradual and gentle manner, i wouldn't think it's similar to taking away a dummy. by the time a child's nutritional needs are met mostly by food i assume a lot of the purpose of breast feeding is for bonding, warmth and comfort, and while a dummy can offer some comfort it really is a pale immitation of breast feeding. i imagine it's harder to wean a baby off a dummy than off breast feeding if you do it at the right time, as long as there's cuddles and attention to replace the breast feeding with.

back to the original post though. doesn't the WHO recommend breast feeding for 2 years where possible (and exclusive breast feeding for the first 6 months)? can't rightly recall...

i like your replacement i very much

:D

yes, i thought the diet issue was likely to be relevent to westerners too, but i guess that could be harder to investigate as it's not that common for western women to have that many children.

while i agree that withdrawal from breast feeding can happen in a gradual and gentle manner, i wouldn't think it's similar to taking away a dummy. by the time a child's nutritional needs are met mostly by food i assume a lot of the purpose of breast feeding is for bonding, warmth and comfort, and while a dummy can offer some comfort it really is a pale immitation of breast feeding. i imagine it's harder to wean a baby off a dummy than off breast feeding if you do it at the right time, as long as there's cuddles and attention to replace the breast feeding with.

back to the original post though. doesn't the WHO recommend breast feeding for 2 years where possible (and exclusive breast feeding for the first 6 months)? can't rightly recall...

! worked on a number of alternat!ve 'eyes' before settl!ng on th!s::hihi:

! agree about your thoughts about the w!thdrawal from breast and dummy BTW:D

Yes the WHO suggests 2 years and the department of health suggests 1 year (6 months of wh!ch !s exclus!ve)

Was !t th!s

....not sure about !t myself - but then aga!n my fam!ly arent prone to allerges. The WHO reccommend feedng for 2y and the DoH recommend 1y here:thumbsup: That artcle also suggest that breastfeedng produces chl;dren who are better able to cope wth stress later !n l!fe.

ED!T - just real!sed !t was talk!ng about exclus!ve breastfeedng past 1y - !.e. no sol!d foods:o

I think it might have been yes.