Moving house with a baby

i know there's a few of you have moved house with a young baby. given that we're planning on moving in around 6 weeks (yay!), does anyone have any useful tips? i suspect i'm going to be needed for cleaning purposes, tea/coffee/lunch services, unpacking, directing..... all on top of normal baby services, so any good suggestions gratefully received!

perhaps i should ask one of the besotted relatives to come and babysit whilst i manage everything else? most of our relatives are easily bought with a curry and a beer...:D

edit to add - the baby is currently 4 months old, so i guess she'll be wriggling all over the place by the time of the move.

I moved when i was 33 weeks pregnant omg never again,

I would get a family member to look after your little one while you get all the big stuff sorted Cot made etc bed made etc and then you can get your baby and get the unpacking done,

My dd is 4 months old and is already all over the place rolling and moving herself about,

Angie

i know there's a few of you have moved house with a young baby. given that we're planning on moving in around 6 weeks (yay!), does anyone have any useful tips? i suspect i'm going to be needed for cleaning purposes, tea/coffee/lunch services, unpacking, directing..... all on top of normal baby services, so any good suggestions gratefully received!

perhaps i should ask one of the besotted relatives to come and babysit whilst i manage everything else? most of our relatives are easily bought with a curry and a beer...:D

edit to add - the baby is currently 4 months old, so i guess she'll be wriggling all over the place by the time of the move.

Definitley get a baby sitter, and also try to stay out of the way your self as much as possible. My son was eight months old when we moved, we'd farmed him out for the morning, but our vendors were running very late. I ended up sat in the car outside breastfeeding and chaning nappies on the backseat!

I'd get her to someone else's house for the whole day, where she can sleep in peace at nap time and have a lovely snuggly day without you needing to share your stress at moving with her. Then when everything's sorted out in for her to sleep in the new house they can bring her round.

It's stressful enough to move house- if there's a way round the extra stress of looking after a teeny one at the same time then do it.

Definitley get a baby sitter, and also try to stay out of the way your self as much as possible. My son was eight months old when we moved, we'd farmed him out for the morning, but our vendors were running very late. I ended up sat in the car outside breastfeeding and chaning nappies on the backseat!

believe me, breastfeeding in a stationary car is a doddle compared to expressing into a hand pump in a moving car on a twisty, bouncy, hilly road! won't be doing that again...:hihi:

is it necessary to stay out of the way yourself, too? i've never had someone do the moving for me before!

It's not necessary for you to stay out of the way, but there are certain points of the day when it won't be necessary for you to do anything except let them get on with it.

believe me, breastfeeding in a stationary car is a doddle compared to expressing into a hand pump in a moving car on a twisty, bouncy, hilly road! won't be doing that again...:hihi:

is it necessary to stay out of the way yourself, too? i've never had someone do the moving for me before!

Well, husband and some burly hired men did the job for me!

I moved house with two little ones, one was a baby at the time. Enlist your family to take your baby for the day and express some milk. Let the removals do the lifting and positioning, you direct. Then get your baby's room ready first so that when he/she arrives home they can sleep in confort while you work your socks off trying to sort the rest.

Good Luck with your move.

I moved house with two little ones, one was a baby at the time. Enlist your family to take your baby for the day and express some milk. Let the removals do the lifting and positioning, you direct. Then get your baby's room ready first so that when he/she arrives home they can sleep in confort while you work your socks off trying to sort the rest.

Good Luck with your move.

Agreed. I made it my sole mission that day to make sure my little boys room was ready to be used streight away.

I then nearly set the house on fire by trying to use the ancient (but in good working order.... my arse) shower.

I think little one was around 6 weeks old when we moved. I arranged for me and baby to stay at a friends house the night before the move and left it open to stay another night if necessary.

We paid for the full removal service including packing and it was money well spent. Baby had an hospital appointment the day of the move so we were out of the way. It was a bit strange leaving everything to hubby and removal men, as I am a bit of a control freak with stuff like that, but it was fine.

I made sure I'd prepared before hand to make sure all baby's things that were needed were with me. And by keeping out of the way we avoided all the stress. A dear friend cleaned my house as the furniture was being moved out and other friends helped for the first two days in the new place.

Good luck, where are you moving to?

Hi wish I could help you. Moving with a baby I can’t imagine. You must be a brave woman. . Packing is really a stressful job but if planed carefully make less hurdles professional movers. It will lighten your burden and will make your packing less difficult. Also there are many useful packing tips available on net which can be helpful . You can find some good moving tip on that site

boxyourstuff.com/packingtips.asp

Crikey Im in the middle of this at the moment. I am having to do stuff at the new house whilst packing this house. Im exhausted. With four kids their is just so much stuff. I have become an emotional nightmare. So much needs doing and now baby waxy has decided to have a clingy phase. She is alright while Im scraping the walls infront of her but if I so much as move out of sight she screams. I dont know how it will all be done before christmas. :(