Waiting around at Hospitals...

Actually, if we paid the entire Gross National Product into the NHS, it still wouldn't fix the system and it still wouldn't be enough money. That's why the NHS needs abolishing and a whole new system putting into place.

The reasons I disagree with that are not really valid on this subject. I simply made my position clear so others don`t think I`m "anti-NHS"

The reasons I disagree with that are not really valid on this subject. I simply made my position clear so others don`t think I`m "anti-NHS"

Well, nor am I, but there's an infinite demand for the thing, and we can't supply it.

The reason for long waits in out patients is due to several factors.

1. for many years people have not bothered to turn up for appointments - i think the official figure is somewhere around 40% are non attenders ... in reality its much higher probably around 55%. In the last year or two there has been a big media frenzy aobut the millions of nhs money wasted by this, so i think the system is in the process of being reviewed. But for the last 15 years or so, some appointments in some OP clinics have been double booked, just because of the sheer number of people who dont turn up...if 2 people are booked in to each 30 minute slot, by averages only one person will turn up. Obviously this runs into problems when people DO all turn up ... and you get a knock on effect of people having to wait.

Very true. The only thing that will put a stop to this is charging people, say, £20 for appointments, and refunding it if they turn up.

2. consultations can run longer than the allotted time. You cant tell someone their histology report is malignant then boot them out the door cos your next patient is due in 5 minutes...some do run over their allotted time, and this causes delays.

Again true. In the long run though, if this happens a LOT, it means you're not allotting enough time in the first place. The reason you're not doing that is down to lack of funding and not enough doctors and nurses, of course.

3. staff sickness - you only need one nurse or doctor to be off and the rest of the clinic has to play catch up... doctors and nurses are only human - we pick up flu bugs and cold bugs and stomach bugs just like any one else!

And this is why any good business will have people on-call, ready to cover for the sick and otherwise unavailable. The NHS doesn't - see comment early about lack of funding and not enough doctors, nurses etc.

4. Patients not reading their letters properly - many clinics ask for a list of medication to be brought in - when patients dont, it can take up to 10 minutes just to find out what tablets the patient is on. Same with urine samples ... the number of people who dont bring them when requested is amusing to say the least. the pt then has to trot off to the loo to 'do' a sample ... causes delays.

I don't think there's a lot we can do about goddam bloody stupid people, sadly :(

5. last but not least - inefficiency; patients get appointments booked and for some reason dont flag up on the system - probably due to a booking error or booking by someone not supposed to do them. patients notes go missing cos they are improperly traced ... or docs wander off with them and they turn up 2 weeks later in xray

This is most people's major bugbear, and it really is unforgivable. However, it doesn't account for all, or even most, of the delays to appointments, but it gets pretty much all of the blame.

"Quote:

2. consultations can run longer than the allotted time. You cant tell someone their histology report is malignant then boot them out the door cos your next patient is due in 5 minutes...some do run over their allotted time, and this causes delays.

Again true. In the long run though, if this happens a LOT, it means you're not allotting enough time in the first place. The reason you're not doing that is down to lack of funding and not enough doctors and nurses, of course."

Part of the problem here is that the appointments aren't booked by the medical staff but by admin staff so they have no idea how if a patient needs extra time allocated to them. Apparently its the same for day surgery lists. I know surgeons who have lists lasting anywhere from an hour (i.e. finishing early) to 5 (ie running late).

ive got to go into hospital on wednesday, appointment time says 2-3 hours, but ive got a feeling its gonna be a lot longer than that :(

I doubt throwing money at the NHS will really resolve the issue. It's like widening motorways; it works for a short time then the whole cycle starts again.

As for waiting - in many hospital visits you're actually booked in to a 'clinic' rather than an individual appointment slot. I've recently attended a clinic for my knee and was in and out very quickly on every occasion...within the restrictions applied by my knee, of course. :)

Having said that, I've attended other clinics and waited for an hour or two. My approach now is to literally take the day off. And as I'm self employed, and as such don't get holiday pay or sick pay, it's a financial hit I'm not 100% happy with but value my health more than my time in these situations.

I went to the hospital for an appointment at two, a few weeks ago.

I had previous experiences as to those mentioned here so I took a book with me.

I sat in the waiting room, happily reading my book. I finished the book at four and realised that I was alone in the waiting room, I went to ask the receptionist when I would be seen by the doctor.

She was gobsmacked and full of apologies as she told me that the doctor had left. They hadnt called my name or anything, they had just overlooked me.

So my advice is don't sit too quietly as you may be overlooked :|

I`ve just had to go back to a hospital appointment and despite being the first booked slot in the morning and being one of the first to turn up we were waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and..... well you get the idea....

I noted what was said earlier which implied we should be grateful for our treatment, and anyone with half a brain is exceptionally so, but there is also an implication there that we`re somehow getting this treatment for free and therefore we should put up with any waiting around. The fact is that all of us (other than the tax parasites, "hundred quid for cash mate") are paying for it.

So come on NHS, our time is not completely worthless, surely there has got to be a better way of booking in appointments......

I have not read all the posts in this thread so excuse me if this as already been covered.

A couple of years ago I was taken ill in Benidorm the ambulance took me to the hospital and within the space of half hour I had seen the doctors and was back on the street and back to my hotel.

I was asked to return the following day for medication (injection) which I did I presented myself at the desk at the time of the appoinment and was immeditely shown into a cubilcle and the injection was administered less than

five mins from going in to coming out. this happen three times and it was the same time scale each time.

if this can happen there why does it always take so long in sheffield I suggest they take a look at the spanish system.

IF IT HAD HAPPENED IN SHEFFIELD IT WOUL HAVE BEEN A FOUR OR FIVE HOUR WAIT JUST TO GET SEEN. and by the way the hospitals were spotless