Asthma clinics in city centre?!

Anyone who thinks that obviously hasn't read the frightening statistics. There are still about 1500 people per year who die as a direct result of asthma in the UK, most of which are preventable with proper therapy.

http://www.laia.ac.uk/97_3/97_3.htm

There are lots of techniques which can assist with breathing and lots of things that can help- everything from not being around allergens to using decongestants to enable nose breathing rather than mouth breathing- but when asthma attacks are happening, it is VITAL that they aren't ignored.

agreed, for quite a few years i mis calculated my asthma and always used to think i could push it away, if only id took it seriously then i might have it under proper control by now,the problem i have is when the weather constantly changes my asthma becomes really severe (damp and muggy conditions are usually the worst), and it springs on instantly, then takes weeks to settle down.

MM

You can get an emergency supply from your usual chemist; they supply you with the drug at the normal charge of the script then you give them your script as soon as you get it from the docs. Going to your usual chemist is best as they should already have all of your med details on the computer.

However; you shouldn't have to do that; the GP and reception staff have a responsibility to make sure you have your meds; they have to let you have a script if you run out; and at the very least should offer for the GP to phone you (the GP will then print out and sign a script). It’s disgusting that they'll let you risk having an attack, and no doubt against all legal guidelines.

just out of curiousity what is the breathing technique you learned? wouldnt mind an improvment in my asthma as im suffering terribly at the minute, the past week has been unbearable,(and theres always one smug **** who says "asthma? its cant be that bad ":rant:

MM

Wouldn't want to suggest anyone tries anything without due care or medical advice.

But in my case I saw a programme about 7-8 years ago about a Russian doctor who got some quite serious asthmatics and was able to help them using a combination of breathing techniques, exercise and mental processes.

I tried it and it worked. After only a few days there was a marked improvement. I stopped using the preventative that hadn't worked for the past God knows how many years and haven't looked back.

But, like I say, I wouldn't be without the Ventolin just in case. It's just common sense to have it with me.

I now take a seretide inhaler twice a day, and I rarely use my 'reliever' anymore.

I believe the docs are reluctant to give seretide out though, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask.

The purple inhalers are a combination of preventative and reliever, and they're usually only prescribed for people who have asthma that doesn't respond to the standard regime.

My 7yr old son has a purple inhaler. He has cystic fibrosis. He used to have the brown one but they changed it to the purple one because the brown one wasnt doing much to prevent him wheezing. They suspect that he might be slight asthmatic though, because he coughs and wheezes regularly. Chemist at manor top also lend you an inhaler for a five pound deposit, which you get back when you give them the prescription from your doctors.

Wouldn't want to suggest anyone tries anything without due care or medical advice.

But in my case I saw a programme about 7-8 years ago about a Russian doctor who got some quite serious asthmatics and was able to help them using a combination of breathing techniques, exercise and mental processes.

I tried it and it worked. After only a few days there was a marked improvement. I stopped using the preventative that hadn't worked for the past God knows how many years and haven't looked back.

But, like I say, I wouldn't be without the Ventolin just in case. It's just common sense to have it with me.

this the Buteyko chap by anychance? just having a browse at his stuff but cant find an real techniques pages, only information on what he does etc, does he have a book/tape/cd? any help would be good, although ill be seeing the gp for correct guidlines and advice beforehand of course.

this the Buteyko chap by anychance? just having a browse at his stuff but cant find an real techniques pages, only information on what he does etc, does he have a book/tape/cd? any help would be good, although ill be seeing the gp for correct guidlines and advice beforehand of course.

Just put his name through Metacrawler and it is the bloke I saw on TV.

There's quite a lot of stuff about it on the web now I've looked

These things should be made more available, especially with the recent asthma warnings.

inhalers contain PRESCRIPTION ONLY MEDICINES , prescription only medicines are such that it is felt that before such a medicine is supplied a proper assessment must be carried out by a suitably skilled Health Professional ( either A doctor, Dentist or Nurse with independent prescriber status , or other health professional in accordance with

a) a patient group directive

b) a statutory exemption ( Paramedics, Midwvies, Chiropodists etc)

c) a Clinical management plan as part of supplementary prescribing

one of the reasons prescription only medicines have that status is control their use in that they are only used wihere there is a clinical reason for their use and where other problems which may present with similar signs and symptoms

the advice that is usually given by most GPs is to try and get 'one in hand' with inhalers etc - although obviously stuff like expiry dates can effect his

the emergency supply regulations have been mentioned all ready

seretide in the purple inhaler is a god send - i swear by the stuff... 2 puffs in the morning, and again at night, and i rarely ie. once a month, need to use my salbutamol these days.!!

:thumbsup:

Off topic a bit but does anyone know of patients using Xolair. Its a new drug to treat allergic Asthma (dogs and cats do it for me in a V bad way). Rather than treat the problem it stops the boby reacting to the trigger.

The US boards i have read seem really interesting but it's only just licensed here. I want to talk to my GP about it but i'm sure he'll say no on cost grounds.

Just wondered if anyon had sucessfully got treated with it. I might start another topic on dependant on what you few are saying.

If it's not been approved by NICE yet then convincing your GP to prescribe it would be extremely hard, especially if you're having relatively good control with the regime that you're on.

I hate not having my inhaler, it makes me more panicky, and brings on an asthma attack.

If I don't realise I don't have it on me, I'm fine. Sometimes I get home and its on my bed and I think 'wow, I've coped without it all day!' but if I notice it on the way to work, it brings on a mini asthma attack at around midday. Its all in my head I think :hihi:

Im exactly the same. If im in an enviroment i wouldnt usually need an inhalor in i will suddenly remember i havent got one and start panicking, thus leading on to an attack. Its horrible to have to rely on something like that.

And Sarah are you sure they wont give you one? they usually give me one, well, for £7.50 but its worth it..this may be cause im still in full time education now i think of it, but ive seen other people collecting them?

x