Anyone from Abbey Lane School?

As a memorial to ex.headmaster Frank Dobson, who sadly died last year, the school and community have decided to put 3 working clock faces into the clock tower. Does anyone ever remember seeing or hearing anything about the clocks being there or have an old school photo with the clocks showing? Various local enquiries have come up with a blank. The school was built in 1928 and presumably the clocks were in situ then ... were they removed during the war? were they too heavy for the tower? any ideas or knowledge welcome.

Does anyone remember Abbey Lane School I remeber starting in Miss Auclands

Class in 1943 There was Mrs Brookes, Mrs Wright, Mts Fletcher, Mr Housley Miss Horsman Mrs Bullers, Miss Hastwell Mr Fowler & Mrs Newman. Miss Davis was Headteacher and Mr Sargeant the Caretaker.

I started at Abbey Lane School in 1943 and am sure that the clocks were there in my early days perhaps they were removed beacause they did not work and were too costly to repair??

I sent the above reply and i,m not "Prettyinpink" So what went wrong there.

I heard from my mum that the clocks were there when the school was first built and that they were made of glass and lead. Then for some reason they disappeared, but theres not record as to why for some reason. They later managed to recover one of the original clocks, but the others could never be found. I know that the old headmaster Mr Dobson wished that the clocks could be restored to their former glory, but because it was too expensive to use the original materials, their using a special kind of plastic instead.

Reminiscing about Abbey lane junior and infants school.

Old school friends from Abbey Lane school -Help needed remembering names of teachers from mid '50's to early '60's. Anyone out there with a good memory?!

Edited by egbutnobacon
new title

Oh yes! Miss Booth, remember her 'sausage' dog she used to take to school?! Mr Askham, Mr Norris, Mrs Bullas - very strict!(not sure how her name was spelt, too long ago!)

Oh yes! Miss Booth, remember her 'sausage' dog she used to take to school?! Mr Askham, Mr Norris, Mrs Bullas - very strict!(not sure how her name was spelt, too long ago!)

I think the Head was Miss Barton & the little dog's name was Henry.Mr Askham was my J4A teacher,he was very strict but got great results!I also remember Mrs Pallister,Mrs Bullass ,Mrs Steele (her daughter,Judith,was in my class) and Mr Rosling.I was there 1956 -62 - a long time ago now,but I still remember some things like playing on the field at the back in summer,cheese pie for lunch(I hated it) & the awful outside toilets.

I was a lot earlier went there through the war years Miss Davis was the headmistress, but I was taught by Mrs Bullas, She help me to pass the Scolarship to go to Grammar School.

I was not a pupil at Abbey Lane, but Miss Booth was head at Carterknowle when I was there!! Too many years ago to remember!!!