Sign in to follow this  

Respect the Big Issue

When buying the big issue only buy from vendors with badges - this means they are registered to sell the big issue. Before getting registered they have to meet various criteria and are only allowed to sell it for max 2 years. Working with the big issue they receive training, education and help/advice, to give them better options and to get them off the streets.

Selling the big issue is often the only job they can get, and approaching people gives them confidence; teaching them skills of working with the public - having to talk etc to strangers.

For more info read: http://www.bigissueinthenorth.com/

Please remember to say "no thank you" rather than "sorry"

Originally posted by "Miss_Sixty"

anyway he used to get hold of some Big Issue magazines and used to earn a tidy little sum by flogging them and getting money off the dole!!!!! ...

Simple Rule, look for the badge, all Big Issue sellers have photo Id badges for precisely this reason.

If everyone went up to the big issue sellers just to say 'sorry no thanks' then they would have an equally hard time.

I don't say to the Star sellers 'sorry mate already got one'. I buy the big issue mainly because it's actually quite a good magazine and peripherally because it 'helps the homeless help themselves'.

It's a great idea, and has been copied worldwide.

Anyone comes upto me begging for money for food and I will offer to buy them some. If they accept I'll ask them what they want and we'll go and get it. If they refuse, it's usually because they didn't want it for food.

I was asked for change by a beggar on the tube once, and he said he needed it for a ticket. i offered to buy him a travelcard for the day and then he admitted

'son, eem jus' an ol' alkie lookin fer is nex brew'. So I gave him some money and became his best friend.

I agree with t020 about a stall, it would give "them" (without trying to pigeonhole anyone) the opportunity to sell things other than just the big issue. If the council can put up with and sanction street selling, then maybe it could fund such an enterprise, I'm sure the cost would be small. As for being interupted during a conversation, does the same apply when you bump into someone or is there then time to say "sorry"? Its just a few seconds wasted in a whole lifetime. Its not a lot to ask really. I can understand anyone ignoring the sit down beggars in the underpasses ie bottom of Norfolk St.

if i bump into someone and its my fault of course i say sorry, but thats not quite the same as being interrupted by a big issue seller, if anything, they should apologise for interrupting. i don't see why its rude to ignore them if i didn't ask to be bothered by them, and the same goes for people who take surveys and people who ask you for "some money for the bus home".

In Liverpool...

Police have accused up to 60 Big Issue sellers of being involved in a heroin and crack cocaine dealing ring. A total of 54 people - not all of whom sell the magazine - have been arrested in the crackdown by Merseyside Police.

Thirty of them have been charged, four released and a further 20 are still being questioned.

The Big Issue said it had no way of knowing if those arrested were genuine vendors because the police had refused to give them any information, and accused the force of carrying out a publicity stunt.

Detectives say they have recovered Class A drugs, a replica gun, a sword and a number of knives during the operation, which has been going on for 15 months.

Superintendent Alan Cooper from Merseyside Police said: "We were investigating claims by the city centre business community that aggressive beggars and other people who frequented the city were actively involved in the sale and supply of heroin and crack cocaine."

source

OK, so it's not Sheffield but I bet it goes on here too. So the majority are just poor unfortunates trying to better themselves? I bet most of them laugh their a*ses off at people who buy their crap magazine. :loopy: Still, as a new boy in town at least I now know where to go to score!

Good to see the Big Issue taking it seriously by dismissing it as a publicity stunt though. :rolleyes:

put a TV guide in it (TV companies whoever just let them do it for humanitarians sake!). Or why don't Big Ish ask "TV choice" if they can staple just the terrestrial (saving space) TV pages inside and give them half of what the TV mag costs (20p) and add this to the top of big issue. (whats 20p)

Vendors could then buy an interview suit (haircut, gilette, toothpaste etc..) with the quadrupled sales and get a job letting another hard luck story have their patch sooner. And so on actually adding meaning to "helping the worthless off the streets"

At 40p "TV choice" would still keep their cheapskate couch taters who obviously wouldn't switch to Big Ish. and they'd get more revenue from Big Ish. So TV choice are winners and Big Ish vendors would be.

So why hasn;t someone done it ?

Big issue is becoming tired and annoying concept now.

I'm not sure I understand why Liverpool Council have banned Big Issue sellers. Sure, some of them may be involved in drugs, but isn't the Big Issue a way out of that world?

Part of me thinks that the council simply think that there's no room for homeless people in their 24 hour always happening super-dooper world class city of culture.

What is starting to annoy me walking around town is people promoting clubs and bars, pushing fliers into my hands. Can you imagine if the big issue sellers were doing that?! Going to work the other day and walking through Hallam uni on the way to the station a girl promoting Gatecrasher even stuck a sticker on my back :(

Also along devonshire street there's been lots of posters attached to lamp posts etc with those plastic ties that stick out with quite a sharp edge at eye level. Another danger to navigate on my way to/from work & bars.

Big issue sellers aren't a problem for me compared to the above. I feel they are people down on their luck, working harder than most to make a living and I have a lot of respect for them.

I'm sorry I've gotta say this but yesterday I was walking my dogs down the moor for summat to do. I had just got down my road

( this really long deserted road ) when I saw three people just stood waiting around. I recognised one of them as a Big Issue seller from town so I smiled at the guy.

Anyway I kept on walking and was almost around the corner when I looked back and saw that a drug dealer was giving them drugs!! It was drugs and not fags ( believe me I've seen this drug dealer before ). It did kindof annoy me that this guy was selling the Big Issue but was still on drugs.

A few months ago I saw many a begger and the occasional Big Issue guy use the yard at the bottom of my garden for getting high. Thank goodness that the council cleared it up after yonks. A few times my garden has been used for getting high too.

The point is shouldn't the Big Issue be monitering they're guys to stop them from doing this junk??

Otherwise whats the point of training them if they haven't been sorted out??

I have alot of respect for the Big Issue guys too.

If the Big Issue sellers put as much effort into finding somewhere to live or getting a job as they do in selling their poxy magazine then they wouldn't have to sell it would they.

Also i think it's fair to assume that any money they earn from selling the Big Issue is classed as income. I wonder how many declare it when they sign on?