Born in the 40's, 50's, 60's??

And why not????Aren't boys allowed to skip?Ask Bomber Graham!!

Now, now mother dear. I didn't say boys weren't allowed to skip - I merely said I'm not too sure if your grandson will enjoy it. You're forgetting that his father is the biggest computer game geek going....:rolleyes:

I remember sunday dinner left overs, would also feed us for the next couple of days. Meat, butter, and eggs would all be kept in the pantry, and not in a fridge, I can't remember it ever going off. I also loved tinned Fussells milk spread on bread yummy. :)

im 52 and i love condence mill on bread and so does one of my sons and my eldest daughter aint life sweet wonder we have any teeth in our heads lol .....

My Aunts lav was outside, she kept it locked, we had to ask for the key each time, don't know what people could steal, only cut up newspaper.:rolleyes:

When I was a kid, our brand new post-war council house had two toilets, one indoors upstairs, and one outside. We used to cut up old newspapers into squares for loo paper for the outside toilet, but we were dead posh in our street when it came to toilet paper for the indoors loo upstairs.....we had rolls of Izal! :gag::hihi:

but we were dead posh in our street when it came to toilet paper for the indoors loo upstairs.....we had rolls of Izal! :gag::hihi:

Don't know which was worse Izal or newspapaer, at least you could catch up on the news with the latter, or should I say bits of news.:hihi:

..........And there were loads of them long legged spiders in the outside carsy that you don't seem to see much anymore.

We used to have a little paraffin lamp in there in winter to stop the whole lot freezing up. I never could understand how that little flame would stop it freezing, cos it still felt bloody cold in there to me. Mind you, it seemed to work.

Don't know which was worse Izal or newspapaer, at least you could catch up on the news with the latter, or should I say bits of news.:hihi:

The rather slippery texture of Izal was always a problem for me.

just picked up this thread its great, made me think about when I was young the first thing I noticed on waking in the morning would be the smell of charred

newspaper where my dad had lit the fire ,put the tin up put newspaper over to draw the fire then went to put kettle on and forgot the paper my mam used to go berzerk

just picked up this thread its great, made me think about when I was young the first thing I noticed on waking in the morning would be the smell of charred

newspaper where my dad had lit the fire ,put the tin up put newspaper over to draw the fire then went to put kettle on and forgot the paper my mam used to go berzerk

Ah yes.... coal fires! How could I forget coal fires - and my Dad was a miner too!

In wintertime, Dad would get up before the rest of the family, and get the fire in the kitchen going. Once a good fire had been drawn with newspaper across the fire hearth, my sister and I would be herded from our comfy warms beds to quickly get dressed for school in front of the warm fire. Porridge oats for breakfast with treacle and warm milk, followed by a Vitimin C Haliborange tablet. Wash hands and face, brush teeth, and then the mile long trek to school.

My mother use to roll the newspapers up and tie them in a knot, suppose it made them burn longer starting the fire up, then pile shiny back coal on top, none of that coke stuff till years later.

My mother use to roll the newspapers up and tie them in a knot, suppose it made them burn longer starting the fire up, then pile shiny back coal on top, none of that coke stuff till years later.

I'm still doing that Poppins !

It works for me.

Yes, I remember the smell of scorched paper first thing in the morning!

Funny how smells stay with you and bring memories flooding back!

You were lucky to have newspapers. There were 18 of us living in a box in t' middle o' road. Every morning we had to saw a bit off me grandad's wooden leg to light t' fire. But we were appy.