Born in the 40's, 50's, 60's??

That washing machine brought back a few memories......but before that it was the old gas boiler, tub, posher, scrubbing board and hand wringer and all the wet clothes hanging up in the living room when it was raining.......I can still remember the smell of clean washing drying on the thingy that had pulleys and dropped down from the ceiling. Wash day was every Monday and a full days job. My grandmother used to do all that, bake bread, cook an evening meal and see to hoards of kids all at the same time and on her own.

And women complain about their lot today!

Look at these folks.

PIC 1

PIC 2

PIC 3

PIC 4

Brings back a few eh? (Not for me like cus am only a pup). :hihi:

Hey, how did you get photos of our house ?

Hey, how did you get photos of our house ?

That's what I do.

Go and look under your bed. :hihi:

I think Sweetcheeks hit on, perhaps, the most important aspect of life, pre-1970's-----imagination!

When children read or listen to something, their imagination is in 4th. gear.I feel sure that people in general, not only kids, used to enjoy radio comedy shows, for example just as much as people watching t.v. comedy today.

The constant use of imagination, hour after hour, day after day, made people, pre-1970, more individual-----they were in sharper contrast to each other because their imaginations were different. Now everyone sees the same images.

Add onto this, how innotative people had to be to overcome physical problems and how people enjoyed the anticipation of waiting or saving for something as well as actually getting it. Plus, people had to be more organised and reliable in the days when no-one had a mobile 'phone and very few had any kind of 'phone at all. Now, plans can be changed at the drop of a hat and children become ever-more dependent on their parents.

These are just some of the factors that made us different from today's people.I'm sure that despite being richer, overall, every survey seems to show that people in the U.K. are generally unhappier and more dissatisfied as each year goes by.The use of imagination has been the greatest change in my view; in fact I'm trying to imagine what 'Sweetcheeks' looks like-----imaginative name!

PIC 4!!!

Ohh, I remember the cream-coloured english electric washers, with the mangle. Does anyone remember that they had a little door, on the side, where the mangle was stowed when not in use?

PIC 4!!!

Ohh, I remember the cream-coloured english electric washers, with the mangle. Does anyone remember that they had a little door, on the side, where the mangle was stowed when not in use?

I do Plain, my mom had one but I had forgotten about the door.

And men tampering with other men were jailed

and the po under the bed!
hi and it was that cowld in our house int winter even that froze .yes its true anole .

We had a fireplace in the front bedroom (2 up 2 down terrace), but I can never remember it being lit. Coats on the bed, ice on the inside of the windows ......why didn't they light the fire???

We had a fireplace in the front bedroom (2 up 2 down terrace), but I can never remember it being lit. Coats on the bed, ice on the inside of the windows ......why didn't they light the fire???
well it cost money to have a fire burning and that was in short supply i would think .

Newspaper torn in to squares for loo paper. Can anyone remember putting balls into Nylon stockings or tights, and swinging them at wall above your head between legs and from side to side? We used to sing whilst doing this, but can't for the life of me remember exactly what we used to sing.... Anyone know?

Oh how I remember this. We moved onto Manor Park when it was first built and were very lucky to get our first council house and a new one at that.

The coronation when we actually had the smallest TV with all the adult neighbours sat watching and me getting soaked cos they kept sending me to the only shop open on Manor Lane for different things.

Our playground was where the Parkway is and the burning tip where we used to feud with the Wybournites. A bottle of water and some jam or dripping sandwiches and we were gone all day.

Rosie knck knock and hide and seek. Hopscotch and film stars,whip and top.

I was 15 when my youngest sister was born and refused to take her out in case people thought I had been a naughty girl.

My friend getting sent to reform school for something that would be considered trivial today but he never misbehaved again.

They were mostly good times cos we were war babies so didn't know anything different.

The young people today have everything they could wish for ....except freedom from care.