Born in the 40's, 50's, 60's??

Thank god Im an eightys kid, `cos that just sounds boring and dull.

It might sound dull, but we were happy, there was no pressure to have expensive toys etc. our parents just didn't have the money and anyway there wasn't the amount of electronic stuff about then. In our family every Sunday lunch we had a bottle mof Jusoda or Tizer, and for Sunday tea we had tinned fruit and carnation cream in mums best Sunday dishes. If only some of the values that we grew up with could be adhered to today, society would surely be better.

It might sound dull, but we were happy, there was no pressure to have expensive toys etc. our parents just didn't have the money and anyway there wasn't the amount of electronic stuff about then. In our family every Sunday lunch we had a bottle mof Jusoda or Tizer, and for Sunday tea we had tinned fruit and carnation cream in mums best Sunday dishes. If only some of the values that we grew up with could be adhered to today, society would surely be better.

Here Here Haze. :thumbsup:

I try to tell my kids how life was in the 60's when I was a child - they reckon they would not have put up with it - but you just did - because there was noother way. Bread & dripping - yummy, and I also recall having the tinned fruit (in syrup) with carnation milk & bread & butter for Sunday tea!

Frost on the inside of the windows in winter, making toast over a real fire - ahhhh....I feel the 4 Yorkshireman sketch looming again!

It does make me think, how lucky the vast majority of children born in my generation are. I fully agree if the values of back then when you and my parents grew up were adhered to today....It would be a better place for all.:thumbsup:

Bathing once a week in front of the fire in a tin bath, and going nup to the top of the garden to go to the loo, good in summer freezing in winter. My mum didn't get an indoor bathroom until she was 67.

AND....we had to sit our exams without the help of textbooks, cheat sheets from the web, calculators or mobile phones.

And we had to write our answers legibly with a scratchy old steel-nibbed pen dipped in an inkwell - with no blots.

Many of us wil have been caned in school as well as receiving a clip or two round the ear and a hard rap on the knuckles with a ruler....not to mention flying slippers and blackboard dusters :o

But we survived, - because learning was a challenge not a chore :)

I'm not quite old enough to have scratchy nibs and inkwells, but I did have to use a fountain pen. God help us if we got an ink splat on our excersise books.

We also went to school in knee deep snow. Today they send them home at the first sign of a flake or two.

I was born in Sheffield in 1956 and proud of it!!I grew up in lodge moor and most of my time was spent on the crags,climbing and falling!!building dams across streams and general tomfoolery!!in the summer I would be up and out the bedroom window returning before my mum even got up!!god knows what time it must have been but it was daylight that was enough for me!!and we were out in the winter too,remember those wonderful snowdrifts?I used to love being out when the snow was falling fast,that eerie silence as it swirled around,whenever I visit home now I take a trip along the crags and each visit has seen less and less kids playing there!!I despair for future generations,I really do think todays kids not only have the modern toys instead of wellies and a johnny 7 machine gun(remember them?) but they have parents who expect them to behave like adults!!!!kids are kids dont make them grow up too soon cos its not all its cracked up to be!!teach them to respect others and themselves and they wont go far wrong,thats my opinion anyroad!!!!!

I remember sunday dinner left overs, would also feed us for the next couple of days. Meat, butter, and eggs would all be kept in the pantry, and not in a fridge, I can't remember it ever going off. I also loved tinned Fussells milk spread on bread yummy. :)

When I was a child my Father bred chickens and rabbits on our back garden for the table, the chickens provided us with fresh eggs and when my Mother fetched them down to the house the safest place to put them was in our very large victorian glass sugar basin, they were stood on their ends and they were always had bits of chicken s--t on them but we never ailed anything. Children always seem to be ill now a days.

Reading the thread made me smile, I remember freeweeling down the steepest road i could find on my chopper, no helmet and wearing coats by their hoods. Building rope swings across rivers and finding 'hideouts' in the woods here we built little camp fires and told eachother scary stories.

can anyone remember buying half a yard of knicker elastic for french skipping in the early 70's?

there was no 'designer' trainers or 'designer' clothes and everybody was just as skint as your parents, but didnt we have a magical childhood!

________

Montana Medical Marijuana Dispensary

Edited by pinklady