Born in the 40's, 50's, 60's??

Everybody seemed to get their school uniform from the same place .. Hitchins :thumbsup:

and what about whitsentide (sp?) .. we all got a new outfit :smile:

________

Buy Easy Vape

Edited by pinklady

Whitsuntide? New clothes?? I used to get a cap and have to sit in the window!

Whitsuntide? New clothes?? I used to get a cap and have to sit in the window!

Window? window?? Luxury....we used to dream of havin a window.

Reading the thread made me smile, I remember freeweeling down the steepest road i could find on my chopper, no helmet and wearing coats by their hoods. Building rope swings across rivers and finding 'hideouts' in the woods here we built little camp fires and told eachother scary stories.

can anyone remember buying half a yard of knicker elastic for french skipping in the early 70's?

there was no 'designer' trainers or 'designer' clothes and everybody was just as skint as your parents, but didnt we have a magical childhood!

:) This bought back memories pinklady, knicker elastic was a must for all us girls in the schoolyard, we had endless fun french skipping n when the bell/whistle went you just put it in your coat pocket!, we made dens in the woods, we used to make tree swings out of rope and a strong stick, make see saws out of a large boulder and a ladder, played conkers, my dad soaked ours in vinegar, supposedly to harden them, and we made up all sorts of games with just a plain old tennis ball, and then there was the good old hula hoop, we had hours of fun with such inexpensive 'toys', kids don't know how lucky they are these days ;)

Look at these folks.

PIC 1

PIC 2

PIC 3

PIC 4

Brings back a few eh? (Not for me like cus am only a pup). :hihi:

Wow! that looks like my house in the 70's viking ;)

We had a fireplace in the front bedroom (2 up 2 down terrace), but I can never remember it being lit. Coats on the bed, ice on the inside of the windows ......why didn't they light the fire???

We would have the bedroom one lit if one of us kids were poorly and the one in the front room was only lit at Christmas and perhaps on a Sunday.

This was used more when I started to bring my boyfriend of the time home and we would sit in there and play records...

I DO remember the ice on the windows though and the breath coming out like a puff of smoke when getting out of bed in the morning.....:hihi:

My Aunts lav was outside, she kept it locked, we had to ask for the key each time, don't know what people could steal, only cut up newspaper.

That's why people could "Leave the front door open".

No Chioce, the lock was on the Lav.

What a great thread!

Kids today, eh!

Life was much simpler then for us, and what memories you have brought back!!

My mother use to roll the newspapers up and tie them in a knot, suppose it made them burn longer starting the fire up, then pile shiny back coal on top, none of that coke stuff till years later.

Bunny Rabbit ears, my Dad did the same.

My dad, probably like lots of dads, years ago, was dead 'handy'.He used to clean our chimneys every so often-------very carefully!

He also built a simple sort of hot water central heating system in the kitchen, put up a garden shed from various pieces of wood he'd 'acquired', repaired all our shoes, always did the painting and decorating and work on the outside of the house, made me lots of toys especially just after the war and had a full-time job with plenty of overtime. I forgot to mention he also did the garden!

Parents spent a lot more time with their children in the 40's, 50's and 60's and ate meals and discussed more things with their children.Each member of the family would probably 'bring home' all the news from their bit of the world.I'm sure this made children more able to discuss things with real people and exchange opinions, not merely relying on newspapers or the 'telly'.Your mother or father might encourage you NOT to believe everything you read or heard in the media. This enabled kids to think for themselves more.

The whole fabric of society was quite different 40, 50, 60 years ago------more independent, more mature, less gullible and, from all accounts, happier!

I remember as a kid 50s/60s Cinders on top of the snow to stop you slipping especially as we had to walk up blake st or daniel hill no grit waggons then.

black and white tv no fighting over who has the remote.

My mum used to put old woollen socks over her shoes to stop her falling on the ice. She had a name for this practice, can anyone remember what it was?