Born in the 40's, 50's, 60's??

I used to love liquorice root still do as it takes me back to my child hood.

You can still buy it in Sheffield at the Wicker herbalists I should imagine other herbalists will stock it as well.Another thing that I used to like was imps little black things that you could stick on your tongue and eat in class without the teacher knowing but I don't know if they are still around would love to know if they are.:loopy:

Can anyone remember singing with the Sheffield schools choirs,at the City Hall,in the early 50s.?We sang for Winston Churchill.I believe the occasion was when he was being given the Freedom of the City.

Was it 1950 or 1951??

We sang "Nymphs and Shepherds."I still remember the words.

A record was made including that song...but I can"t recall which schools choir recorded it. Anyone know?

Hi, I've only just caught up with this thread. I was in the Sheffield Schools choir from 1952 to 1955. We did make two records one of which was "Nymphs and Shepherds" but can't remember the flip side. I still have the second one which was "Jerusalem" and "Non Nobis Domine'". The recording was made at a girls school around Abbeydale and the conductor was H.E. Hall who was the choir master all the time I was in the choir. I also have a photo taken during the recording. If anyone is interested send me your off line address and I will forward the photo and also the recording in MP3.

just read this site and it brought back so many memories.(a stick of rhubarb and sugar in newspaper was my favourite).I often tell my son that I don't know how we survived without all these so called experts on everything .Sell by dates tickle me the most. My Mum used to say,if it smells alright eat it.

Reading Spaulding's comment about rhubarb and sugar brought about another odd memory.

Round about 1947-8 [ I think ! ] a few of us used to toddle off , aged about 7 or 8, to Richmond Park . We used to take a 'picnic'. This would generally be a bottle of water and cocoa powder and sugar, mixed together, in a small paper bag. If we were really lucky we might also have a few broken biscuits in another bag !

The stem of liquorice was a narrow tube through which you sucked up the kaili. I recall the product, bought at corner shops near schools, was made by Barrett's, and was in a yellow wrapped cylinder, rather like a firework,

You can still get "Barratt's Sherbert Fountains" - see http://www.sugarboy.co.uk/acatalog/Sherbet_Fountain.html

Just found the forum. Just read through the thread. So much to agree with. I am achild of the 50s. My saturday threepence (the one with 12 sides) from my grandma was spend on a pennorth of tiger nuts, a five boys choc bar and some friut salads or a sherbet dib dab. Sometimes had a lucky bag or just went for the penny tray. Also spent a lot of time outside playing games, climbing trees, walls, falling off, doing it again so that I proved I could. Sliding down a huge snowdrift up against a high wall in the winter. Walking the 3+ miles to school because the bus was stuck up in the village. Making the longest slide in the ice on the school playground. I also remember that we had to go outside at break & lunch time all the time - whatever the weather. Lots of people got to like cricket because one of the masters had a small tv set when the international or yorkshire matches were shown. You could stay in if you kept quiet and watched the cricket.

Taking the pop bottles back to the pop shop, and being alllowed to spend some of the money on the way back.

Taking the dining table out into the garden in summer so we could eat outside when it was a hot summers day. (Drop leaf oak - sadly no longer with me) - polishing the legs of said table on a saturday.

Using dining chairs to play at buses, or when fine using the door bell and the front steps. Long summer holidays when we could play out all day long - and never get bored. Better stop now or the readers will get bored!!

Puzzler, I am so pleased that someone else remembers fiveboys chocolate. When I put this question on a thread a while ago no-one knew what it was. Do you rememember what the titles under the boys faces were? I can only rememeber desperation and realisation.

Puzzler, I am so pleased that someone else remembers fiveboys chocolate. When I put this question on a thread a while ago no-one knew what it was. Do you rememember what the titles under the boys faces were? I can only rememeber desperation and realisation.

Desperation, pacification expectation, acclamation, realization - it's Fry's! See http://www.sterlingtimes.org/september00.htm

The above link shows a "Fry's Five Boys" label from the early 1900s which was before my time (honest it was..). I'm sure the one I remember from the 1950s was red and white, but with the same theme.

i remember all these sweets,if you go to howath near bradford bronte country

the shops there sell old sorts of old things its like going back in time,they even wear the clothes from this era ,well worth a visit great day out :)

The above link shows a "Fry's Five Boys" label from the early 1900s which was before my time (honest it was..). I'm sure the one I remember from the 1950s was red and white, but with the same theme.

Yes, I'd concur with the red and white label. It's a bar I've referred to in recent times - with someone of 60's vintage - because when things aren't going right for golfer, "Tiger" Woods, and he puts on his "pet-lip", it has always reminded me of the piece embossed with the child that's 'roaring' (crying!).

Hi, I've only just caught up with this thread. I was in the Sheffield Schools choir from 1952 to 1955. We did make two records one of which was "Nymphs and Shepherds" but can't remember the flip side. I still have the second one which was "Jerusalem" and "Non Nobis Domine'". The recording was made at a girls school around Abbeydale and the conductor was H.E. Hall who was the choir master all the time I was in the choir. I also have a photo taken during the recording. If anyone is interested send me your off line address and I will forward the photo and also the recording in MP3.

I'm pretty new to the forum and just found this site. I remember singing in the Sheffield Schools Choir at the City Hall probably from about 1952-56. What a great time it was too. I loved it.