Was Anyone In Reney Avenue Children's Home?

Hi there,

I know this thread is dated but I thought I would give it a whirl!

My name is Kathryn Monaghan, my Mum, Judith, was manager or something at one of the reney avanue homes, I remember JJ and trisha, I also remember some others but names are hazey as I was very very young although I know someone used to babysit me!

I also remember Jane, the blind girl that lived in the downstairs flat?

Kathryn

• Like 1

I was just watchin a programme and remembered about this post...

Kathryn-anne! YES!!! Your dad is Kevin your mum's fave phrase when she was frustrated with him use to be "OH Keveeeeen!" and JJ use to imitate her!

i loved your mum dearly, she could see which way my life was heading, she tried to stop my life going off the rails but couldnt prevent my rollercoaster ride.

turned my life around now

Edited by juliemorris

I was at 172 reney avenue from 1976-1980.i lived with my brother,rashid.mr and mrs smith were in charge and other staff were,mrs hunt,mrs swan,mrs marsh and mrs goodchild the cleaner.other kids in the home were asif,paul and robert hobson,the white brothers,neil goring and a few others i cant remember their names.i knew diane and jamie johnson from the home next door,charles barnard,a lad called wombat.they were the best days of my life.going sledging down beauchief,golf ball finding.holidays to bridlington.did anybody know me.my name is hassan (was rahman) now bannister.

• Like 1

Jay was Jason Williams, Diane's surname was different but i dont recall it, she was in 174. Iwas there with Trish Mitchell, Sharon Hartley, Nigel Wragg and many others in the 80's...

:hihi:

hi i was in 174 with dian and her surname was johnson sh sad 2 brothers my names sarah wilson

my name was sarah wilson wen i lived in 174 get in touch if you think you now me i am getting on now and live in linconshire with my family.had some good times there but dont remember names very well .still kept in touch with old jim clark '

Edited by sarahkit

Hi just wondered if anyone could give me any information or history on this place as my mother in law lives there now in the flats and we are very interested in finding out what the place was like. Any info or even pictures would be great.

I ran away from home with a girl called Heidi who lived here, I was dragged home by the ear about 3 hrs later when my mum found me, which I was chuffed about to be honest cos my socks were wet and id taken 3 rich tea biscuits with me so I was starved, I sometimes wonder what happened to her, she stole my walkman, and my mum wouldnt buy me another one cos id run away....

I was at 172 reney avenue from 1976-1980.i lived with my brother,rashid.mr and mrs smith were in charge and other staff were,mrs hunt,mrs swan,mrs marsh and mrs goodchild the cleaner.other kids in the home were asif,paul and robert hobson,the white brothers,neil goring and a few others i cant remember their names.i knew diane and jamie johnson from the home next door,charles barnard,a lad called wombat.they were the best days of my life.going sledging down beauchief,golf ball finding.holidays to bridlington.did anybody know me.my name is hassan (was rahman) now bannister.

i lived round the corner from 172.think i no all the names listed on this site.wombat john wilson,robert hobson is on my facebook.charles barnard,last time i saw him was at skating ring,very good on the ice.wilson sisters,one of me school mates went out with one of them.im a bit late with this topic but all the names bring back memories.

Janette was let down by her family , she felt unloved by her mum , her mum and brother didn't attend the funeral as i remember. I think her mum love Brain more than Janette and it showed. i was alos at Jannettes comfirmation , my church had adult baptism so the service interested me.

Let’s set the record straight

Jeannette was always loved and supported by her family

Her mother and father split up when Jeannette was just 7 years old and her brother was 6 years old at the time.

The following year the got there first colour TV and went on holiday to Spain.

Her mother worked two jobs and they had holidays aboard every year after.

Jeannette never got over her parents splitting up.

Jeannette and Brian spent some time living with there grandma on Gervase Ave Lowedges.

Where she took hundreds of pounds of her grandma pension money.

After a few years Jeannette went to live with her dad, but when he re-married a woman half his age, this was another nail in the coffin for Jeannette.

She moved back home for a short while, but was not happy and tried to commit suicide on three occasions. (This was to seek attention from her dad).

Jeannette spent a short time in Reney Avenue Children’s home.

By the way Brian knocked around with Sam (Hassan) from the home.

At the same time as Jeannette was in the children’s home her mother purchased a 3 bed roomed house for them to live in (this was on annesley rd Greenhill village).

It was not long after that Jeannette committed suicide. (And by the way she did not jump from her grandma flat window on the 2nd floor, she jumped from the top floor landing window) she had written on the walls "good bye cruel world"

I know this as I was there.

Note it was not suicide but death by miss-adventure (this was recorded by the coroner and on the death certificate)

NOW the reason Jeannette’s mother and brother was not at the funeral was her dad took full control and would not let them know when it was.

There was a small article in the Sheffield star where her dad said Jeannette was his only child and would be missed (what about Brian?????)

He then sent the full bill to her mother to pay!!!

Jeannette has always been in my thoughts, every day not just one day a year.

I have even named my daughter after her

Her middle name was Amanda, and yes my daughter is called Amanda.

Now if you have not worked it out yet and are still wondering who I am.

I am Jeannette brother

Brian.

p.s. I was also comfirmed the same time as my sister, so you should remember me

Edited by p1aceb0

Hi sam2796

Catch up with you soon

Brian

I was in 174 from1984 - 1986