Was Anyone In Reney Avenue Children's Home?

wow Bri, it's been a long long time buddy.............remember me? jason goff, i lived in the last block as you were in the first block...last house bottom row lol. i remember jeannette very well.......Her death came as a huge shock, i recall only talking to her a day or two before? A very grown up lass from what i remember and unfortunitely the block where she was found many kids passed on their way to school, so the hand rails were for all to see..bad bad image when i think back.... I don't think as a child you can take what actualy happened in? but the vague memories are still there...and what i didn't know was what she wrote on the wall before. Poor lass

And also do ya remember a kid called Paul Nixon? he lived in the opposite block to you BRIAN.....

Hi is anyone else in touch with Reney staff recently?

I'm Trishas daughter! She always had many a story about you and your antics when I was a kid :hihi:

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I was at 172 reney avenue from 1976-1980.i lived with my brother,rashid.mr and mrs smith were in charge and other staff were,mrs hunt,mrs swan,mrs marsh and mrs goodchild the cleaner.other kids in the home were asif,paul and robert hobson,the white brothers,neil goring and a few others i cant remember their names.i knew diane and jamie johnson from the home next door,charles barnard,a lad called wombat.they were the best days of my life.going sledging down beauchief,golf ball finding.holidays to bridlington.did anybody know me.my name is hassan (was rahman) now bannister.
I remember you and your brother rashid I hated mr smith he use to slap me around the face he use to get a couple of days off were mrs swan and mrs hunt would look after us which I use to look forward too im andy my brother was ian

Let’s set the record straight

Jeannette was always loved and supported by her family

Her mother and father split up when Jeannette was just 7 years old and her brother was 6 years old at the time.

The following year the got there first colour TV and went on holiday to Spain.

Her mother worked two jobs and they had holidays aboard every year after.

Jeannette never got over her parents splitting up.

Jeannette and Brian spent some time living with there grandma on Gervase Ave Lowedges.

Where she took hundreds of pounds of her grandma pension money.

After a few years Jeannette went to live with her dad, but when he re-married a woman half his age, this was another nail in the coffin for Jeannette.

She moved back home for a short while, but was not happy and tried to commit suicide on three occasions. (This was to seek attention from her dad).

Jeannette spent a short time in Reney Avenue Children’s home.

By the way Brian knocked around with Sam (Hassan) from the home.

At the same time as Jeannette was in the children’s home her mother purchased a 3 bed roomed house for them to live in (this was on annesley rd Greenhill village).

It was not long after that Jeannette committed suicide. (And by the way she did not jump from her grandma flat window on the 2nd floor, she jumped from the top floor landing window) she had written on the walls "good bye cruel world"

I know this as I was there.

Note it was not suicide but death by miss-adventure (this was recorded by the coroner and on the death certificate)

NOW the reason Jeannette’s mother and brother was not at the funeral was her dad took full control and would not let them know when it was.

There was a small article in the Sheffield star where her dad said Jeannette was his only child and would be missed (what about Brian?????)

He then sent the full bill to her mother to pay!!!

Jeannette has always been in my thoughts, every day not just one day a year.

I have even named my daughter after her

Her middle name was Amanda, and yes my daughter is called Amanda.

Now if you have not worked it out yet and are still wondering who I am.

I am Jeannette brother

Brian.

p.s. I was also comfirmed the same time as my sister, so you should remember me

Hi Brian , Jeanette was let down by you all , did you spend anytime visiting her in the adolescent unit ? Did you try to find her when she walked out of school ? I know the truth you were told of the funeral but your mum removed you , took you to Spain . Jeanette didn't steal any money there was never any evidence to support that ! And sadly it's not something you will remember well now ,mthe day she jumped was my birthday I remember coming out of my mother in laws house seeing loads of people and seeing the ambulance etc I was interviewed by police as she had told me she was suicidal ! I told the school nurse and my teachers at the time , I knew you both at Greenhill and rowlinson school . My mum knew your mum ! And had grave concerns for Jeanette and evennspoke to mrs stonehewer who made notes to that effect .

Hi Brian , Jeanette was let down by you all , did you spend anytime visiting her in the adolescent unit ? Did you try to find her when she walked out of school ? I know the truth you were told of the funeral but your mum removed you , took you to Spain . Jeanette didn't steal any money there was never any evidence to support that ! And sadly it's not something you will remember well now ,mthe day she jumped was my birthday I remember coming out of my mother in laws house seeing loads of people and seeing the ambulance etc I was interviewed by police as she had told me she was suicidal ! I told the school nurse and my teachers at the time , I knew you both at Greenhill and rowlinson school . My mum knew your mum ! And had grave concerns for Jeanette and evennspoke to mrs stonehewer who made notes to that effect .

This seems to be a very sad story, did this happen in the early part of the 1970s? How old would Jeanette have been now? Reason i ask is i also know of a brother and sister who would have been in Reney around the same time.

Edited by only_me

This seems to be a very sad story, did this happen in the early part of the 1970s? How old would Jeanette have been now? Reason i ask is i also know of a brother and sister who would have been in Reney around the same time.

I was 16 the day this happened and it's 34 years ago now but it's never been forgotten by me

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but a family member used to run this children's home, Ida Smith, she has many many fond memories of working with the children along wither her husband. She is 95 now and would love to hear how the children she cared for are getting along.

Hi remember me then David Sarah kit Wilson

---------- Post added 10-01-2016 at 18:35 ----------

Hi I was in 174 for quite a few years I moved back home to Sheffield after Lincolnshire but came back with terminal lung cancer I am know 49 lol got old if eny one wants to get in touch feel free

Brian get in touch please look me up on Facebook under sam Bannister chesterfield 

On 24/09/2015 at 21:25, Kelmarie33 said:

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but a family member used to run this children's home, Ida Smith, she has many many fond memories of working with the children along wither her husband. She is 95 now and would love to hear how the children she cared for are getting along.

Mr and Mrs Smith used to look after me in the home in the mid 70,s to early 80,s.I went onto foster care long term but never forgot what they did for me.I visited Ida a few years ago and learned that sadly Bernard her husband had passed.Best days of my life was spent at 172 Reney avenue.Thanks to Mrs Hunt,Mrs Swan,Mrs Marsh who also took care of us all and not forgetting Mrs Goodchild the cleaner.Much love to them all xx