Pregnancy health scares and medical problems (other than morning sickness)

GL note;

This thread is where all your questions and comments about pregnancy-related medical problems and health scares can be found...other than morning sickness, which deserves a thread entirely to itself! From gestational diabetes to swollen ankles, SPD to eczema, Strep B to chicken pox...they're all here somewhere.

BC

Anyone had experience of placenta previa or placenta accreta? I ask because Mrs Surfin had a tough time with junior surfin no.2 back in November/December/January. (ended up in intensive care and lots more I could add)

Thankfully baby Faye is doing brilliantly and Mrs Surfin is recovering well but still having tough days.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of it....

Cheers

Jim:thumbsup:

I'm not sure what mine was called but my placenta didn't come out properly and I ended up in high dependency ward with hemeraging 3 week later and was lucky to survive. I'm expecting again and very very nervous of a repeat performance.

Stardust its called retained placenta where your placenta stays put or doesnt come out in one go,

I guess ive been lucky as i didnt get pp, but ended up with SPD,

I have a friend who had full placenta previa with the birth of her last child, necessitating an elective section (which didn't quite go according to plan as she went into labour away from home the week before her section was due, but it all turned out ok in the end).

The medics were quite at pains to point out how important it was for her baby's life that she couldn't deliver normally, which did worry her rather, but I'm sure they wouldn't do that without good cause.

Mrs Surfin had an extreme example of Placenta accreta, but Jessops are expecting more cases.

Mrs Surfin knew she lad low lying placenta and as the pregnancy went on it was identified that she had placenta accreta. This meant elective c section. Mrs Surfin ended up in Jessops 12 weeks before due date.

We had Christmas dinner in the Jessops conservatory and also my little boys 4th birthday in her room.

Baby Faye was born 6 weeks early weighing in at 4lb 14. She wasn't breathing at first but soon pulled through. She had a week on special care unit.

Mrs Surfin had a full blood transfusion totalling 13 units of blood and 27 units of fluids in total. She had an emergency hysterectomy to save her life as she was bleeding to death. She also needed bladder surgery.

She ended up in intensive care followed by 4 days in HDU. The staff in Jessops and RHH intensive care were brilliant throughout.

Mrs Surfin has had further surgery since to tidy things up.

I'm glad I raised the subject because I think I needed to get it off my chest as such.

Jessops think that the reason Mrs Surfin ended up with PA was because she had an elective C section first time, and they are expecting to see more and more cases of PA, although not this extreme.

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

That sounds like such a scary nightmare for all of you surfinjim- my friend was lucky in that apart from her section everything else went to plan and she was home 4 days later.

Glad to hear that both her and the baby came through it fine, although it's worrying if this sort of thing is going to happen more frequently in the future.

Hi Medusa

Yes it was avery very scary time. At one point I was running (literally) between Special Care Unit for Baby Surfin and Intensive Care in RHH for Mrs Surfin.

We'd beed warned about worse case scenario being the hysterectomy, but when I was sat outside theatre and they kept sending for more blood I knew things were not going exactly to plan.

Me and Mrs Surfin have talked it through a number of times and to be honest, its still not sunk in how lucky we are to all be here. I know that sounds a bit dramatic but its how it was at the time.

It showed me how to be a lot more tolerant of 4 year old junior Surfin, as we were together on our own for best part of 3 months apart from hospital visits.

Its not fact that it will happen more often, but certainly the opinion of many of the staff at Jessops.

i had placenta previa grade four doctors told me i was like a time bomb waiting to go off i had a c/section at 36weeks my baby didnt need icu luckly

I dont know where you get the idea from that the jessops are expecting to see more cases of placenta accreta, more sections yes but that because more people having them now for what ever reason. In my years of working at jessops I have never come across a case of placenta accreta, so please people try not to panic. We are lovely

I dont know where you get the idea from that the jessops are expecting to see more cases of placenta accreta, more sections yes but that because more people having them now for what ever reason. In my years of working at jessops I have never come across a case of placenta accreta, so please people try not to panic. We are lovely

Yes I know you are lovely at Jessops, you certainly looked after my tribe exceptionally well. I wasn't trying to cause panic either, and it wasn't my idea. The suggestion of more cases of placenta accreta came from a very knowledgeable source, and it was his/her opinion that due to the increase in instance of c-section that there MAY be an increase of PA.

Nothing more/nothing less than a mere suggestion.

Cheers

Hi ladies :wave:

ok I'm not pregnant...

but i thought this was the best place to ask this question, by just after lunchtime everyday and for the rest of the afternoon and evening i suffer with swollen ankles and feet...

other than giong for a walk - which i do, putting them up - which i'm trying but i'm at work and typing sideways, and drinking lots of water... can anyone recommend anything???

Have you had your BP checked lately?

First signs I had that my BP was a bit off was swollen ankles.