Reg Vardy - Eccy Rd - How do they sleep at night?

the other day the batteries ran out in the central locking remote key for my Clio....

went to a watch repair shop and bought 2 replacement batteries for a fiver... after fitting these in the key, the key no longer worked as a remote... i worked out that it needed reprogramming...

so today i phoned the service dept at reg vardy to enquire about reprogramming my key.. i was told that it would cost £38 !!! and that it wasnt guaranteed to work...:loopy:

i thought this was an absolute rip-off, :suspect: so this evening i managed to find a procedure on a website for reprogramming the key... it took 30 seconds, and was easy, :thumbsup:

so how the hell can reg vardy justify charging nearly 40 quid for this 30 second task???

it really winds me up....:rant:

if anyone wants to save themselves 40 quid and find out how its done, pm me and ill let you know

so how the hell can reg vardy justify charging nearly 40 quid for this 30 second task???

The council give them free business rates.

The staff don't get paid for doing simple jobs.

The electricity is free.

And so on.

I know it seems a lot but the overheads are massive so I may not like it but I do understand it.

I've removed a post and a follow up as the initial post was potentially libellous.

Can I remind people to take a look in the FAQs about libel.... :)

HI Bandit,

Can't PM you 'cos I haven't put enought posts on, so can you PM me with details as the central lockings gone on my car....

Thanks.

hiya i would also like to know where you got the information to reprogramme your key as this is the case with my spare.

your help would be appreciated.

thanks, lisa

To be fair to RV, you might have asked the wrong question.

Keys are usually re-programmed to a car when it's a new key - because the plip and receiver must recognise each other.

In the case of your key, they would recognise each other, but have probably got out of sync with things like the rolling codes used ( due to the battery running out ).

The type of procedure you're talking about usually involves putting the key in the ignition and pressing the plip x number of times, or something similar, and is sometimes actually covered in car manuals.

The procedure the dealer probably thought you were wanting is to re-code a new key to your car, in which case the price quoted would actually be quite cheap !

I've got no relation to car dealers, in fact, I despise them as much as you do, but they have to make money, you just have to shop around. Some service parts, for example, are quite often as cheap if not cheaper from a dealer than from some retail motor stores !

all main dealers are a rip off just spoke to vauxhall on saville street about a wingmirror and the said 165 including fitting

the spoke to a car spares dealer who said £15 for the exact same part and would even fit it me 4 free

erm i wounder where ill be going lol

From my experience of the subject, it can be £90 - £120 to reprogram a key for other makes of car that is very cheap.

I knew someone who had a mondeo, and he put new batteries in his central locking key, and you have to do it extremely fast otherwise it needs reprogramming. He didn't do it fast enough.. But couldn't justify the cost of the reprogramming. So he used the key manually from then on.

I've removed a post and a follow up as the initial post was potentially libellous.

Can I remind people to take a look in the FAQs about libel.... :)

Might be an idea to feed 'Reg Vardy' into the auto mod 'banned word' list,- I can't imagine any company more likely to elicit bad language and potentially libellous responses. Except First Mainline of course :D

From my experience of the subject, it can be £90 - £120 to reprogram a key for other makes of car that is very cheap.

I knew someone who had a mondeo, and he put new batteries in his central locking key, and you have to do it extremely fast otherwise it needs reprogramming. He didn't do it fast enough.. But couldn't justify the cost of the reprogramming. So he used the key manually from then on.

You wouldn't be able to do that with a Renault because the 'key' is only electronic, and without a working key in the slot on the dahsboard, the car isn't going anywhere. There is an emergency physical key which will get you in to the car, but it won't start the engine and you have to take the door handle apart to use it anyway.

HI Bandit,

Can't PM you 'cos I haven't put enought posts on, so can you PM me with details as the central lockings gone on my car....

Thanks.

have PM'd you...

hiya i would also like to know where you got the information to reprogramme your key as this is the case with my spare.

your help would be appreciated.

thanks, lisa

have PM'd you...