Sheffield Music Scene - Who are the best bands/artists?

I really love live music and I am looking for some new local talent to go and see.

Who's your favourite?

Seen "The Moon" a few times, great band.

Like "Boy on a Dolphin", being around years pity they have never made the big time.

i don't know about any local bands cause i'm not from the area....yet, but where would be the best places to go and watch any local bands that play along the lines of MSP ??

I move in 8 days !!

For small giging sheffield bands try:

The grapes on trippet lane

The deep end

The boardwalk

The Arundel and Surrey (some times)

The Classic Rock Bar (formerly the Jolly Buffer) on Ecclesall Rd has live bands on most nights of the week.

Every Monday is Open Mic musician night for anyone to get up and have a go. From beginners to experienced guitarists. The pub has guitars, a keyboard and a drum kit so anyone can play.

Lots of local bands play throughout the week.

This week you can see Crowley Dead on Friday, DO$CH on Saturday and there's an Air Guitar Competition on Sunday. Loads more entertainment and live stuff going on. All free to get in (apart from Frank White on 12 Feb which is £4 but he's worth seeing!) and there's a really friendly atmosphere - worth a visit!

I've seen Special Agents a couple of times... they're local aren't they? They were pretty good.

casbah in town always has bands on. Pink Grease were wicked!

Guest Guest

A good band who are up and coming nationally who are based in Sheffield are Ashbury. Their sound is like a cross between Portishead and Massive Attack. The female voacalist is amazing. I ve got one of their albums "a dream indoors" absolutly stunning! :D

Guest Guest

why, that'd be bhuna of course!

www.bhuna.net

Guest Guest

Paraguay mcenzie play all things electric @charles st thurs 20th "aphex twin meets new order on a dark night".

Guest Guest

http://indiesheff.cjb.net

http://www.l2sb.co.uk

Are two web sites to check out on the local music scene.

There's also the local music rag Sandman (http://www.sandmanmagazine.co.uk) who can help give you a guide.

Good bands at the mo include Rumpus, Chicken Legs Weaver, Sky Diva, Less Than Zero (who are apparently gigging again soon after a line-up change) and Chuck. People from Sheffield doing OK for themselves at the mo include Pink Grease, Hoggboy and ex-longpigs member Richard Hawley. People are talking about Ormondroyd, who have recently had stuff played by John Peel.

Back to the top

Thanks for the input everyone