MOTORISTS and road safety/responsibility

Quite. Try the ones on Carterknowle road ; they not only trash your suspension but smash your brains in.
I know them well - and will be negotiating my way through them tonight on the way to the Prince.

I know them well - and will be negotiating my way through them tonight on the way to the Prince.

yes they did the suspension in on my previous "hairdressers "car :)

yes they did the suspension in on my previous "hairdressers "car :)

But Fudbeer,

You replaced that Hairdresser's car with ANOTHER hairdresser's car. Ya big poof.

It's about time - as you hinted tonight in the boozer - that you picked yourself a more comfortable means of transport.

Speed bumps are an interesting one because they result in the opposite of the NIMBY syndrome. That is to say most people (particularly those with children) want them on their own road but do not want them on any other road which they have to use. I reckon the term OIMBY (that`s Only In My Back Yard) describes them, and me come to that !

Incidentally it`s not just about road safety, my wife and I were thinking of buying a house and we went back to look at it in the evening (when it was quiet) and the noise from some of the motorists hammering it up the hill outside put us off it. If a speed bump had been just outside they wouldn`t be able to drive at such speed and the noise level would have been more bearable.

Incidentally how do those anti social cretins with the really loud exhausts get away with it ? Surely their must be some law (or even just the MOT) to stop them.....

There are regulations in place for 'drive-by' noise levels for new cars; I'm not sure how long ago they were introduced.

However, there are no legal limits for after-market exhausts, or for old cars, so long as they pass the emissions test on the MOT. The MOT has no noise requirement at all.

Speed bumps won't necessarily solve any noise problem either. Cars and lorries may not be travelling as quick, but they will be accelerating more (noisier than constant speed) and may have to change down a gear for harsher speed bumps, creating extra noise.

If there aren`t any regulations to keep cars noise levels to a reasonable level there bleedin` should be. Hopefully the DofT will get round to it sometime, possibly when they`ve finished ripping us off with their 0870 phone number.....

I`ve heard this before about braking for speed bumps then speeding up afterwards but surely that`s just bad diving. One should do a steady speed (15 to 20mph I`ve found is usually OK to minimise any unwanted "jarring") and stick to it. I can`t help wondering if these "brake and accelerate" drivers are the same ones you see hammering down the outside lane of the motorway then braking behind the next car they come across. That is bad driving because if you use good anticipation (and don`t drive too fast) you should never have to brake on a motorway at all, unless there`s a traffic jam of course.

If there's a 30 limit on a road then it's not unreasonable to drive at 30 in normal conditions.

Many people also don't want suspension damage and slow down to 5mph, it's not reasonable to expect them to speed up again after the bump and slow down for the next.

Some of the speed bumps round here are simply too far apart to keep to a notional 15-20mph between them. Anyway, they are supposed to be designed to allow vehicles to traverse at the speed limit with no damage (to the vehicle). Unfortunately, some are so badly designed that many cars have to slow to 15mph or less, and some cars (Minis, sports cars - unmodified, btw) cannot cross them at all without being scraped.

It`s not a question of whether it`s reasonable or otherwise, it`s just inefficient driving. More wear and tear on ones brakes, engine and transmission.

Most of the humps I come across can be negotiated fairly smoothly at 15 to 20mph (and I would accept that one`s which require drivers to slow more than this are too severe) so how much time would one save by adopting the two different strategies ? Nothing worthwhile all I`d say.

On the subject of 30 limits the road I live on is theoretically a 30 limit but anyone who drove down it at that speed would have to be retarded in some way. I would say 15 to 20 would be the absolute maximum safe speed and I`ll bet everyone on my road would agree with me.

As I mentioned above, speed bumps are a way of reducing speed on roads without reducing signed speed limit. And hence why they are called speed bumps one would imagine!

if you use good anticipation (and don`t drive too fast) you should never have to brake on a motorway at all, unless there`s a traffic jam of course.

Incidentally does anyone disagree agree the above statement

if you use good anticipation (and don`t drive too fast) you should never have to brake on a motorway at all, unless there`s a traffic jam of course.

Incidentally does anyone disagree with the above statement ?

(this is a duplication of the above due to "user error"...............)