Sign in to follow this  

Any hope for an old gal?

I am moving to Sheffield as a *cough* mature student in a couple of months and am wondering if there are any crumbly freindly bars in the City? I do like a boogie and am inot rock and retro nights I just dont want to feel like the oldest swinger in town!

Alos if anyone of my age groupish is in a similar postion or just looking to extend your social circle I would love to hear from you

try the sportsman on cambridge st old rockers pub

If your not ancient try the 18-30's nights, everyone there are a friendly bunch.

Classic Rock Bar at the bottom of Ecclesall Road has all ages in it. Our oldest customer was Eve who was 86.

Originally posted by Classic Rock

Classic Rock Bar at the bottom of Ecclesall Road has all ages in it. Our oldest customer was Eve who was 86.

Yay thanks for that will definitely polish up my ZImmer frame and check it out once I move

Oy ! I resemble that remark....lol

how old is old.....im but dont see myself as old......merely older!

;)

I'm a bit of a fossil myself and I've never felt out of place in any of the well-known Shef rock venues, they mostly draw very mixed crowds. Even when the bands are young enough to be your kids you can always stand at the back with the proud parents :-) The Grapes on Trippet Lane is my favourite. (Classic Rock Bar is a bit out of the way for me, but when I've been there it's been excellent too.)

If you are at Shef Uni there is a mature students social group but it's not exactly rock'n'roll and only for undergrads, postgrads are stuffed. The great thing about Sheffield though is the tradition of nattering with strangers, nobody bats an eyelid if you talk to them at a gig (unless they're snotty southerners and who wants to talk to them?) and it's very easy to make friends outside university, in fact most of the people I know here now are non-students. Good Luck!

I got to agree that people in Sheffield or very open to you going up and having a chat.

I think nothing of going to a gig on my own or going to the pub to watch the footy alone if none of my mates are up for it...I always end up chatting to somebody

...now when I lived in Leeds that was a differant story altogether. Pat on the back to friendly Sheffielders I say :)

Thanks very much for the replies and PMS I apprecaite it

Er...not sure how I can break it to you guys *shuffles feet nervously* but I am from London originally and therefore a snotty Southerner myslef hee hee!

One of the reasons I decided to stick around Oop North after my marriage broke up was that I love the friendliness and opennes of pps round here especially that Northern sense of humour.

I have never found this more so than in Sheffield which is one of the reasons I am really looking forward to moving there

If you want to go out and extend your social circle get in touch and we can have a laugh around town. You are not old....Have you never heard of the super - youth!!