Wing Chun / Kung Fu in Sheffield

Hi,

I know there have been lots of similar posts to this before but I was wondering whether I could get a few more details (i.e. places, times, who to contact etc).

I'm looking for a quality Wing Chun class in Sheffield (or maybe another traditional-type kung fu class) but I can't seem to find any suitable. I know there's a good one at the Chinese community centre, but I don't finish work til 5.30 (when classes start) so can't get there in time. I also know that Dave Mantis teaches a class in Dinnington but it's too far for me to travel (I'm the other end of Sheffield). I've read posts mentioning a class on Carlisle street (?) and the 'Sheffield Wing Chun centre' (?).....but I can't seem to find any information on either of these. Does anyone know anything about these? Or any other good classes?

Thanks,

Jon1234

hi, there's a guy called joe who teaches on a monday night 7-9 but he's away for a few weeks doing a work placement.

some of his students get together for a bit of chee sao on a sunday afternoon at 2. should be in general cemetary near vine entrance weather permitting.

Sorry nigsmig, I couldn't reply to your pm cos that was my first post!! I only need to think of 8 others now til I can pm haha...... (is there anyway to get around this??)

In answer though, no I've not done any Wing Chun before. I fancy trying some Kung Fu but I'd rather a style that's quite traditional rather than a modern kickboxing type form (i've already done karate and some muay thai). I don't really know much about Kung Fu though so thought Wing Chun would be a safe bet. I'm trying to find lots of different classes to try at the moment so I can see what I'd prefer.

Thanks for the info though...

does anyone know the actual whereabouts of any classes and their times?

does anyone know the actual whereabouts of any classes and their times?

hey there,

Try and find jay_kd on here, he has a place near sheff uniteds ground, he does jeet kune do on a wednesday 7pm - 8pm, classes are £5.

He all so has other classes in various martial arts, his place is at:

Sheffield Martial Arts Centre

Old Norfolk Barracks

Unit 7, 1st floor clough road, entrance on lancing road

Sheff s2 4ee

I have'nt been so you'll have to let me know what its like, As I hope too make it down there one day myself.

cheers

hamza_badd, there's joe's 'direct wing chun' 7-9 monday -at minute sameplace as chee sao till he gets off work placement. pop along to sunday chee sao if you want.

there's davemantis who runs a club out in dinnington sat 10am (but pm him for other times/venues).

think there might still be a group at chinese community centre but don't know times.

there used to be a class at pondsford on a friday evening but last time i went was about 3 years ago so ringing up the centre might be prudent.

there used to be a group down attercliffe with several classes per week - they were affiliated to samuel kwok so you might get a phone no if you look on his website.

good luck

thanks for the info nigsmig. just out of curiosity though whereabouts exactly is the direct wing chun held and how much is it? if you could tell me someone to contact i'd be grateful.

hi hamza_badd,

saw joe yesterday and he's got a four week work placement away from sheff but when thats done will organise a regular class. he'll let everyone interested know when and where by posting on the forum.

There’s not that muck kung fu in Sheffield but I have a class just outside http://www.mfcba.co.uk

Tuesday

7 star praying mantis 7.30pm

wing chun 8.30pm

Thursday

Weapons 6.30

7 star praying mantis 7.30pm

Sanda (Chinese kickboxing) 8.30pm

Saturday

Wing Chun+ Mantis open session 10am

Sunday

7 Star Praying Mantis in Doncaster 1.30

He

You ask me, what is my stil.

Wuh shu kung fu!

Sorry but where is the place to learn kung fu?

Kathi

we are in Dinnington just off junction 31 M1 you are more than welcome you can contact me on 07973311745

got a a post up about a meet at x mas if any one is Interested pm me.