Estate Agency Act 1991

Just Google it

plenty of hits - all good

What in particular do you want ansering?

Deepak

The OFT website has some easy to digest overviews as well.

I notice that Saxton Mee are quoting this act to request proof of deposit from BUYERS. I've googled the act and read it twice. As far as I can see, it is the SELLER who has to provide proof that they can pay for the estate agents services. I don't want to give my bank details to Saxton Mee, it's none of their business.

I notice that Saxton Mee are quoting this act to request proof of deposit from BUYERS. I've googled the act and read it twice. As far as I can see, it is the SELLER who has to provide proof that they can pay for the estate agents services. I don't want to give my bank details to Saxton Mee, it's none of their business.

I don't understand the issue with this request, you expect an estate agent to send you out particulars of a property, arrange viewings and give you information about the vendors but you don't expect to show that you can afford the property?

A typical estate agent will hold over 500 applicants at any one time, when a new property comes to the market who do you think they will call?.....the applicant who hides all his information or the one that is upfront and has proven his ability to purchase?

I have a mortgage certificate, showing that the bank will lend me the money. Why should I have to show the estate agent all my bank details? They are asking for proof of deposit, when they don't know what size deposit I need? More importantly, they are stating on the house adverts that it is a legal requirement (to the non-existant Estate Agents Act 1991) to proove deposits, which is untrue. Ironically they are misrepresenting the the Estate Agents Misrepresentations Act 1991!

I have a mortgage certificate, showing that the bank will lend me the money. Why should I have to show the estate agent all my bank details? They are asking for proof of deposit, when they don't know what size deposit I need? More importantly, they are stating on the house adverts that it is a legal requirement (to the non-existant Estate Agents Act 1991) to proove deposits, which is untrue. Ironically they are misrepresenting the the Estate Agents Misrepresentations Act 1991!

The estate agents act requires proof of deposit at point of offer if i'm not mistaken but not at point of registration, Mortgage certifictes are a good way of showing the agent your affordabilty and the should work with this

The mortgage certificate should be sufficient, they often try and sell the mortgage and related insurance services the bank may request bank statements and information where the deposit came from.

The estate agents act requires proof of deposit at point of offer if i'm not mistaken but not at point of registration, Mortgage certifictes are a good way of showing the agent your affordabilty and the should work with this

The Act only asks for proof from the vendor that they can pay the estate agents fees, nothing else.

We've made some offers through Saxon Mee and not been asked for anything which suprised me given what it says on all their adverts. They've all been flat rejected though.