Alms Houses in Sheffield c 1930/40's

Well remember the Alms Houses on Norfolk Road, the main entrance was on Talbot Road.

Grandparents had a house on Glencoe Road and they backed onto them.

My mother always said that she wanted to end up in one of them because they were supposedly for residents of the Park district who'd been in business in the area.

Don't know if that was the case but she never managed to get there.

Hi,

Does anyone remember Alms Houses in Sheffield around 1930/40. I went to visit my father's aunt there when I was very young, but can't remember which district they were in. I know we caught a tram from Heeley and changed in city centre and they were on the left on a hill (surprise). Bungalow type buildings around a grass square. The family lived in Spring Street, Melinda Street in the 1880/90's so I am thinking that they would be on that side of city.

Margaret

Hi,MARGARET,i know this goes way back but i am new to this commputer lark so please bare with me. i was born in the alms houses at 16,bland street,

grimesthorpe. it was on a hill and ran downhill from petre st to adsetts st. my dads mother had a corner shop at 21 adsetts st and clevedon st. the prince of wales pub was across the street.one of my aunts lived at home, and the younger one was a nurse at halifax general hospital,for years until she retired.she passed away this last february aged 91,we were with her at her bedside. the alms houses were like bungalows if my memory serves me correctly. hope you find what you were looking for bye for now .eightlegger.

Hi Margaret - there are the Graves Alms houses at the bottom of Hangingwater Road at the junction of Nethergreen Road an Hangingwater. The old houses which were very small and dark were pulled down and the residents rehoused in various flats, some at Broomhall. Then, if they wanted they could go back to the newly built flats and bungalows. These flats were light and cosy, compared with the old ones. They also had a public lounge where they could go for various activities and a warden on site.

There are still some alms houses on Worral Road next to Wadsley Church- don't know their history though.

There were definately some at the manor Top, quite close to the Elm Tree Pub, think they were knocked down when the supermarket and a few house were built ... they were kind of bang opposite the fire station.

Hi Margaret - there are the Graves Alms houses at the bottom of Hangingwater Road at the junction of Nethergreen Road an Hangingwater. The old houses which were very small and dark were pulled down and the residents rehoused in various flats, some at Broomhall. Then, if they wanted they could go back to the newly built flats and bungalows. These flats were light and cosy, compared with the old ones. They also had a public lounge where they could go for various activities and a warden on site.

The old Alms houses were demolished in the late 60's/ early 70s, we used to watch them being knocked down with a wrecking ball on our way up to nether green school.

Well remember the Alms Houses on Norfolk Road, the main entrance was on Talbot Road.

Grandparents had a house on Glencoe Road and they backed onto them.

My mother always said that she wanted to end up in one of them because they were supposedly for residents of the Park district who'd been in business in the area.

Don't know if that was the case but she never managed to get there.

There's also an entrance on Talbot Place. Used to play in there when I was a kid. Hide and seek among the big rhododendron and laurel bushes. We'd keep getting chased out of there. Access to the Alms Houses is now restricted.

I guess this maybe too late to be of much help but Shrewsbury Almshouses on Norfolk Road covers a much bigger site than the posted photo's suggest. There is a second terrace of Almshouses that were built around 1900 overlooking a large lawn to the south of the original quad.

As to who qualifies to become a resident, the trust speaks of 'the respectable poor of Sheffield' - in other words you need to be local to Sheffield and these days be in recite of a pension. If you want to find out more about living there the people you need to speak to are at Fowler Stanford 8 St. James Street as they manage the estate for the Talbolt Trust.

There were some small almshouses in Oakes Green at least until late 1950s but probably have gone now.

---------- Post added 21-01-2017 at 16:00 ----------

Oakes Green is in Attercliffe opposite bottom of Staniforth Road