New rules for school pack lunches

wait till they get older it gets worse ,my kids are 14 & 12, my 14 year old son like all the other lads in his year play footie at lunch time so they have their lunch at first break, which annoys me but its out of my control, he wont have school dinners i make him pack lunch, he has a sandwich chicken or ham , nothing with it , a pkt of crisps now i have cut down on them, a biscuit and a piece of fruit and some nuts,that is it he is so picky, i am really struggling , even when they have their lunch they all stand up and chat outside whats all that about i only found out the other day, luckily my daughter has school dinners at the right time, the school seems to let them do what they want .

Don't worry about it. Sounds like he's burning off his early dinner anyway playing all that footy! :thumbsup:

I remember cans of coke being way too expensive for school dinners - we had those non-breakable flasks with Robinsons squash in them, but we also had a rule when I was at primary way back in the 70s that you could only have one biscuit in your dinner (e.g. a penguin) so this is nothing all that new. The usual food was a meat or fish paste buttie with a bit of cucumber and tomato on it, an apple or banana, some squash and a wagon wheel. Maybe a scotch egg. Anything that went beyond this and you were weird. Yoghurts were for posh kids. ;)

The bottom line though has to be that the school must not take food off a child as that's plain mean and cruel, no matter how cruddy that food is. The better solution would be to send letters to parents who keep sending kids with rubbish. Though beyond that I dont know how you enforce it?

Things have obviously changed a lot over the years. When I was at Infant & Junior school, sweets and/or crisps weren't allowed at all on school premises. I remember when my daughter was at school NO drinks were allowed, not even water.

I thought school meals were supposed to be there to ensure all children had access to a good quality cooked meal?

Wasn't there a documentary or something a few years ago which showed that most children, if given the choice, would automatically select a well-balanced diet?

I heard that the DfES were distributing a booklet to parents (via schools I think) giving ideas and menu suggestions for a healthy packed lunch. I've certainly not heard anything about 'banning' certain foods so I suspect it is a school based decision.

again which school as this action would be against government guidelines.

Which school ?

the school is Thorpe Hesley Infants, granted its in rotherham (just) but i have been lead to believe that it was a nation wide thing

edit : I have searched google and found nothing, i can only presume that its a school ruling, not a national one.

________

Honda cr750

Edited by pinklady

Things have obviously changed a lot over the years. When I was at Infant & Junior school, sweets and/or crisps weren't allowed at all on school premises. I remember when my daughter was at school NO drinks were allowed, not even water.

I thought school meals were supposed to be there to ensure all children had access to a good quality cooked meal?

Wasn't there a documentary or something a few years ago which showed that most children, if given the choice, would automatically select a well-balanced diet?

I heard that the DfES were distributing a booklet to parents (via schools I think) giving ideas and menu suggestions for a healthy packed lunch. I've certainly not heard anything about 'banning' certain foods so I suspect it is a school based decision.

No drinks were allowed as part of a packed lunch... I find that pretty hard to believe.

Tomorrow at work I will ask the Catering Manager what changes took place at the beginning opf September, are the changes just guidelines or is it set in stone from central government. What powers do the school have to tell pupils what packed lunches they can bring etc. etc.

I miss salt on my chips on a Friday :( I can live with all the other changes, such no carbonated drinks and chocolate bars in the snack machines, only real meat and fish to be used in meals, so no rissoles or bought in burgers, just made on school premises, meaty burgers and home made fish pie etc. etc.

Grinder

No drinks allowed - Mount School, Thornes, Wakefield. 1980's - Feel free to check it out :thumbsup:

If I remember right (bearing in mind it was a long time ago) the reasoning at the time was that the children having school meals and those having packed lunches could have water provided in the dining area at lunchtime - was fair enough, nowt wrong with water.

No drinks allowed - Mount School, Thornes, Wakefield. 1980's - Feel free to check it out :thumbsup:

those having packed lunches could have water provided in the dining area at lunchtime - was fair enough, nowt wrong with water.

But at the time it was delivered in lead pipes to a dining room clad in asbestos sheets.

Ahh happy times *cough

:D

My son is what could be called a fussy eater and due to other problems too long to go into on this thread will only eat certain things. Cheese sandwich with no crusts, monster munch or smokey bacon crisps a time out. Is he supposed to starve ?

This school dinners row has gone too far now the Government can not be seen to back down but although it is important not to eat chips and twizzlers everyday I think the government should concentrate on more important issues in schools like enough teaching support for special needs.

I am now off my soap box:thumbsup:

If you stop giving in to his fussiness you'll probably find that rather than starve, he'll eat whatever you give him.

Additional thought ....................

At the end of July a letter came through the post stating that on the first day back pupils HAD to but a sports bottle at the cost of £1 as water is available twice a day to fill bottles up. Now the end of September still no bottles have appeared. From what I can gather the vending machines have gone so what are pupils supposed to drink ? It is possible to take drinks from home but I personally like a cold drink to be cold not lukewarm from it being kepy in my bag all day.

If you stop giving in to his fussiness you'll probably find that rather than starve, he'll eat whatever you give him.

No he has other problems associated with eating ASD .

I think you have missed the point why should the government state what to have for lunch?

What next you won't be allowed to choose your lunch ?