Newton Chambers

My grandad worked at the polymol chemical side at throncliffe from approx 1917 to 1968 when he retired. His name was John Bee. My dad Charlie Vickers also went and did his apprentiship in the foundry during the years of 1944 to 1951. He started first helping on thorncliffe gatehouse/ Also the mail boy for the whole works. He started this when he was 14 years old and went on to do his engineer training. After he had finished he went to work at smithywood for a number of years 1952-1968 I think, then returned to work at thorncliffe, which I think was then known as Stirling or Roncraft. He worked as a maintenance enginner until he retired.

Just come accross this , my Dad was at NC in theforties/ fifties, his name was Henry Styring . He was also in Thorncliffe Operaric Society where he played lead in lots of Gilbert and Sullivan productions , Mum May used to to be in the chorus and my sister and I used to be extras !!

As I recall, a super bloke called Eric Gale was secretary of the Thorncliffe Musical Society in the 1960s (and perhaps before), and it was good fun seeing the productions. I especially remember a production of The Mikado, and also The Gondoliers. A young woman called Pat Neeley, who was a telephonist at Newton Chambers, played one of the lead roles in The Mikado. Can anyone remember any other members of the Society from those days?

My Uncle worked at Newton Chambers in the early sixties, George Pearson was his name sadly he passed away lastweek I wonder if anyone knew him.

I think I remember an Eric Gale but he was my Mums insurance man, he had a brother called Randy. Is this the same man?

As I recall, a super bloke called Eric Gale was secretary of the Thorncliffe Musical Society in the 1960s (and perhaps before), and it was good fun seeing the productions. I especially remember a production of The Mikado, and also The Gondoliers. A young woman called Pat Neeley, who was a telephonist at Newton Chambers, played one of the lead roles in The Mikado. Can anyone remember any other members of the Society from those days?

Charlie Hague. I believe he was a member, but I don't know when.

I remember Charlie Hague well, knew all the family as they lived near us. If I'm not mistaken Charlie Hague grew up at Westwood with my Dad.

Hi Timbuck, my mum worked there, but i think it was in the late 40's she had me in 1951 so i think she may have left work maybe 1950, she was called Betty Marshall, do you remember anyone of that name.

my mum worked at izal pat copley

my mum worked at izal pat copley

There was a Betty Marshall in the High Green Players around 1959-60.

Is there anyone reading this..who worked at Thorncliffe in the fifties to Sixties ???.

I started there in the early 50's 'Thorncliff Works'. We all had our phot's in the 'Thorncliff News' of which I still have the copy...also some 'Percy Vere' safety imformation of the time. ;);) ;)

Re Newton chambers;That horrible, hard ,shiny toilet paper!! It was awful.

Re Newton chambers;That horrible, hard ,shiny toilet paper!! It was awful.

That was IZAL anybody remember this product? :rolleyes: