Newton Chambers

I used to visit to look after the X-ray unit in the medical centre it was in a bunker type building with reinforced doors. Very strange.

Hi jiginc,

The medical center at Newton Chambers was built in wartime. It was called the Casualty Clearance Center and was put underground to protect against air-raids. It was reputed to be bomb proof. 200 yds further up the road was a factory making tanks so air-raids were expected at any time. There is always an explanation to the strangest things.

Originally posted by Nimrod

Hi jiginc,

The medical center at Newton Chambers was built in wartime. It was called the Casualty Clearance Center and was put underground to protect against air-raids. It was reputed to be bomb proof. 200 yds further up the road was a factory making tanks so air-raids were expected at any time. There is always an explanation to the strangest things.

I remember it being called the C.T.C (Casualty treatment centre)

Have a look at my website HERE

Is there anyone reading this..who worked at Thorncliffe in the fifties to Sixtied. I was the first overseas trainee from Ceylon(now Sri-Lanka) during 1960-1964 underwent training in Foundry Management.Mr.White House was the general works Manager and Mr.Main was the Foundry Manager at that time.

Is there anyone reading this..who worked at Thorncliffe in the fifties to Sixties

I was the first overseas trainee from Ceylon (Now Sri-Lanka) underwent training in foundry Management attatched to the Metallurgical Department from 1960 - 1964. Mr. White House was general works manager and Mr.Main was the foundry manager then.

Presently I am the joint managing director of my foundry which I started in 1974

I had two uncles and an aunt who worked there at that time. They were Herbert, Harold and Margaret Womersley.

Is there anyone reading this..who worked at Thorncliffe in the fifties to Sixties ???.

My dad worked as an inspector at NCK at that time.

My grandad worked at Newton Chambers on Thorncliffe for quite a while I think.

His name was Leonard Hague
That name rings a bell...Tell me more..