Newton Chambers

Charles Edward Hague was my uncle, a younger brother of my Dad, Fred Haigh (both spellings were in use in that generation of the family) Charles, as well as being a lorry driver with NC, was both a dance band drummer and quite an accomplished amateur baritone singer. As a youngster I never failed to get to the various shows he did with NC operatic and other societies, and his numerous appearances at competitive festivals, including Ecclesfield. He was also a member of Wharncliffe Silkstone Male Voice Choir, which I joined with my Dad when I was about 17. I learned so much from my Uncle Charles, and later I sang the same baritone repertoire in music festivals in the Midlands where I moved to go to College in1959. He was a super Uncle to me. Although he was one of nine brothers and sisters and I got on with all of my uncles and aunts, he was the one I saw most of. I remember some time probably in the early Seventies I was conducting a Male voice choir of my own, and I brought them to High Green, and we did a concert in the church. Charles was in the audience and I was so glad to pay a tribute to him, and I remember how pleased he was. He did have a daughter, Pauline, quite a bit older than me, and also now deceased. I was a lucky lad, introduced by Charles and my Dad to so much amateur music making around South Yorkshire, and at school to more serious stuff at the City Hall, all of it laying foundations for what's been, and still is, a great life of amateur music making.

I certainly do remember the name Womersley, but alas no details remainin in my mind.

Best wishes. Gerald.

Thank you for the information Gerald. You uncle and my uncle at one time were comic/singing duo. They called themselves Hake and Cod. My Dad's family were from Chapeltown and a few of them worked for Newton Chambers. Regards Nigel.

I must think again about Facebook. Used to be on it some time ago but left when I got fed up of the level of gossip. I use Twitter a lot, which is useful to me in all sorts of ways.

Well, it might be worth thinking about. At the moment the page needs a few more genuine ex-NC folk, or people with a keen interest in the old days at Thorncliffe. It has been started with the hope of locating a few 'forgotten' NC people, though most of 'em will of of an age-group that is not particularly into the modern technology! There a few interesting pics that have been posted.

I remember Alan Hardy (Boo Boo) I worked in the welding shop from 1960-1972 then went back in 1976-1977.my name is George Bradley,do you remember me?

My mother Jessie Haigh worked as secretary to the Newton Chambers transport manager Eddie Norman for many years up to the mix-Sixties. My Aunt Mildred Hague (yes, the spelling really was different) worked at what used to be the tank factory. Her husband, my uncle Charles Edward Hague was a NC driver delivering Redfyre fireplaces to new housing estates around the North of England. I would sometimes go with with him in the school holidays. I think their daughter, my cousin Pauline, also worked there.

My uncle Norman worked in the weigh down in the middle of the works. And to complete the family link, I worked briefly in the Izal toilet roll sales department as a holiday job in the Summer of 1960. It was a real family thing I suppose. And Uncle Charles sang in the operatic society. Great productions in the Newton Hall. Happy memories.

Frank Martin wrote on the Remember Newton Chambers page on Facebook: “I worked with Charlie Hague as well as Alan Hill who was the wife of Pauline. Alan was about 6 ft tall. I remember Jessie. Names that I recall include Irvin Haigh, Fred Copley, Cis Fenton, Herbert Womesley Jim Bulimore, Fred Ragsdale, Harry Rawbotham, his wife Winnie worked in the chemical works. Little Benny Bamforth from Thorpe, Arther Chatwin. Hope to have a few more names later.” Interested in Newton Chamber or you or someone in your family used to work there? Why not look at the “Remember Newton Chambers “ page on Facebook.

Frank Martin wrote on the Remember Newton Chambers page on Facebook: “I worked with Charlie Hague as well as Alan Hill who was the wife of Pauline. Alan was about 6 ft tall. I remember Jessie. Names that I recall include Irvin Haigh, Fred Copley, Cis Fenton, Herbert Womesley Jim Bulimore, Fred Ragsdale, Harry Rawbotham, his wife Winnie worked in the chemical works. Little Benny Bamforth from Thorpe, Arther Chatwin. Hope to have a few more names later.” Interested in Newton Chamber or you or someone in your family used to work there? Why not look at the “Remember Newton Chambers “ page on Facebook.

Herbert Womersley and my Dad were brothers. Sadly, both long gone. Fred Copley was a neighbour.

my dad worked their around that time i think he madefire grates greatman passed on johndenton

my dad fred callaghan worked there 1954 till about 1960 he was a blacksmith lived on parsons cross, passed away 1988

my dad lived on buchanan road parsoncross john denton and his dad workedthier to amos denton