Newton Chambers

I don't really know too much to be honest, I will have to ask my nan! What sort of info would help jog your memory? (just so I can ask her). I never really knew much about what he did, perhaps it's time to find out!

My Dad worked there after leaving the pits after the war - he worked there in the foundry until 1990 his name is Frank Hibbert and he has loads of stories - he remembers everything. Someone mentioned George Molyneux he was a neighbour of my dads on Thorncliffe Lane and has just recently passed away. My Dad now lives off Cowley Lane. Let me have some names and I will speak to him about it. I can remember being taken around the foundry as a little girl.

I have just spoke to my nan, she says that my grandad worked in the machine shop as a Turner. He worked there for the best part of 30 years. His brother in law also worked there, his name was Alan Thickett.

I will be speaking to my Dad tomorrow so will ask him if he remembers Alan Thickett from the machine shop and Leonard Hague.

One of my uncles worked there in about the late 50's early 60's I think.

His name was Bat Cowley & he & my aunty Blanche had a shop in High Green for many years. I think Uncle Bat was an electrician

I have just spoke to my nan, she says that my grandad worked in the machine shop as a Turner. He worked there for the best part of 30 years. His brother in law also worked there, his name was Alan Thickett.
I think I remember him now ..in 1955 He was about 5 foot 6inch tall..slim build with brown longish wirey hair, always laughing at everything to the point of tears...He wore clogs I remember (most turners wore them, as swarfe from the lathes soon cut thro' leather soled boots) The fellow who he seemed to chat to a lot was "Graham Johnstone" another turner, who worked alongside of him...He loved to play football in the lunch break ...He mainly turned out axles for railway waggons and such...if he was around today he would be aged about 83.....could this be him???

Is there anyone reading this..who worked at Thorncliffe in the fifties to Sixties ???.

The Yorkshire TV programme "The Way We Were" showed some cine camera footage a few weeks ago, taken in the 50's, by the employees at Newton Chambers during their works holidays.

It may be of interest if you could get hold of it.

Grandad did work on railway wheels I have been told. The description sounds about right apart from the hair. Grandad would have been 89 now and Uncle Alan a little younger. I have also found out that grandads brother Albert Hague also worked there with them. Alan had some of his finger tips missing. Grandad was a big cricketer and fisherman. I don't know much about Albert, I never met him but he was slightly older than grandad (and they didn't look much alike!) Perhaps you might remember him?

My father and Grandfather both worked at Newton Chambers... My dad was Ron/Ronnie Foster and my Grandad was Horace Foster... I also think my dad`s sister work there too at some point Marjorie Foster... All from High Green...

Does anyone know 'John Staves' - he worked there during the 60's I think.

Grandad did work on railway wheels I have been told. The description sounds about right apart from the hair. Grandad would have been 89 now and Uncle Alan a little younger. I have also found out that grandads brother Albert Hague also worked there with them. Alan had some of his finger tips missing. Grandad was a big cricketer and fisherman. I don't know much about Albert, I never met him but he was slightly older than grandad (and they didn't look much alike!) Perhaps you might remember him?

The only worker that I remember with finger tips missing was "The Blacksmith"

Here are a few names they worked in the lightside foundry - Charlie Peace, Doug McKee, Frank Lynch, Clem Kitson and Ted Watson all remembered by my dad Frank Hibbert who also worked in the lightside foundry. I believe there was a heavyside foundry as well.