Polish Community in Sheffield

I have a photo of a Jack Mescovic(is that a Polish name?)taken in the early '60's. If anyones interested ,or knows of anyone who's perhaps related, let me know and I'll send you a copy if you want.

Help Please

We run Blue Car school of Motoring in Sheffield and Chesterfield Today we have received an enquiry from a man who wants to learn to drive but who needs an instructor who speaks polish. We would love to help this man but none of our instructors can speak polish. does anyone know of such a instructor so that we can help this man.

Many thanks for your help

Sharran Green

BLUE CAR School of Motoring

blue-car.co.uk

0114 2507663

* ORDIT Parts 1, 2, 3 Approved Pay-As-You-Go Driving Instructor Training & Re-training

* Towing Tuition (Category B+E)

* 4x4 Off-Road & Self Recovery Training

* Male & Female Instructors

* Beginners Courses

* Refresher Courses

* Motorway Tuition

* Pass Plus Courses

* DIAmond Advanced Training

* DIAmond Special Test Training

* Cardington Special Test Training

* Taxi Test Training

Hi everyone

im a Master's student at sheffield UNI and im workin on the Polish immigration in Sheffield. does anyone know a book that would tell about the Polish immigration in yorkshire or even sheffield? i dont know yet if im gonna focus on the new wave of polish immigration or the polish immigration after WWII

my grandma was polish so its kinda goin back to my "roots" tho she emigated to France, as im french.

thanks very much

I have to agree with you 'Hillsbro'. I used to go to the polsh Club with a Polish friend and found the polish people I met as hardworking, adaptable and very friendly.

I must relate a story about my friend- I called for him one day and he asked me to go down to the newsagents to collect his daily paper which he had on order. At the newsagent I gave his name for the newspaper which was Eugenus Czernowski.

The newsagent glazed over and said he didn't have any papers in that name.

When I told where Eugenus lived he replied, Oh! I know who it is, you gave the wrong name. It's Eric Smith who lives at the big house!

Later, I challenged Eugenus about his name and he explained, 'I never use my Polish name for everyday use I always use Smith', it makes life so much easier'.

From that time on he became 'Smiffy' to us.

As 'Oldtimer' wrote, I also was amazed how much vodka these lads could consume when I went to the Polish Club.

They were also very adept at making their own concoctions.

One way was to buy 140* Proof Polish Pure Spirit which was bought from a spirits shop on Dixon Lane and then buy Polish Cherry Syrup from the Polish delicatessen in the Meat & Fish Market.

These ingredients were mixed together and watered down to taste and I think they called it 'Vishnoffka'.

Maybe this is not the correct spelling but I've written as spoken as I remember.

It know many Polish people made their own drinks including Vodka as they had always done on the Polish farms for yonks.

I guess they needed something for the cold winters they have to survive.

I know my family in Denmark drink Aquavit on the farm to keep the blood circulating.

Hope this snippet helps you StatsTYKE.

Happy Days! PopT

Happy Days!

Hi can anyone help me ,I am looking for the correct spelling of a Polish American I knew as a kid from Heeley,I will spell the second name how it sounds Poleckie first name Jan.Hoping someone can help cheers Tosh13.

Tosh 13

There is a Polish Family called Potocki in Sheffield, is this the name?

Stanislaus Potocki was a war hero, taking part in the underground movement against the Germans in Warsaw.

Hi PopT can't be sure the lad came over from Boston USA in the late 60s early 70s to see his family on Forster Road at Heeley,his name was Jan Poleckie but don't know if I have the surname spelt right.cheers Tosh13

Hello

My name is Anouchka and I am a Master's student in Sheffield. i am doing my dissertation on the Polish community in Sheffield after 1945. I would like to meet people who have families or are directly linked to the POlish community in Sheffield. Im focusing on housing policies, clubs and assocations, what the british gov and sheffield council did for the polish people, like jobs. Anecdotes and stories are more than welcome. i would like to make a questionaire that people would answer. it would be very important for my work if you could tell me more about it.

thank you very much

anouchka

Hello

My name is Anouchka and I am a Master's student in Sheffield. i am doing my dissertation on the Polish community in Sheffield after 1945. I would like to meet people who have families or are directly linked to the POlish community in Sheffield. Im focusing on housing policies, clubs and assocations, what the british gov and sheffield council did for the polish people, like jobs. Anecdotes and stories are more than welcome. i would like to make a questionaire that people would answer. it would be very important for my work if you could tell me more about it.

thank you very much

anouchka

i used to care for a polish bloke in the 90,s,a really interesting old fellow.

he was conscripted into the german army as a 2nd class german ,fought on the russian front,and was captured in ,if im correct,italy.

from there he was kept as a prisoner of war ,being brought to louth,lincolnshire,he was then given the chance to join up with the free polish forces,which he did,at the end of the war,he settled in sheffield,marrying a local girl,staying here until his death in 2001.

from the stories he told me,i believe he would have liked to have returned "home",but would have been seen as a traitor,you see,he was polish born,but spent his working life in germany.

we used to joke with him that he joined up with the side who was winning at the time,which often resulted in him shouting at us in either german or polish....but never told us what it meant,then we would all fall about laughin at what our interpretations were.

he worked at fox,s in stocksbridge,along with many other ex-p.o.ws who stayed after the war,up until his retirement,often doing 7 days a week.

i spent many happy hours in his company,christmas time there is something i will always remember,with his cherry brandy and stollen cake,i used to dread other carers coming round because it meant the stollen was shared out more.....well,i hope this little snippet helps you in some way.

Anouchka

I have sent you a PM.

Hope it helps you. popT

Hello

I am doing a master's on the Polish community in Sheffield from 1945 up to now. U said in your message that your dad emigrated to sheffield. would it be possible to interview him or you if your dad is not available for any reason?

i need to interview polish people who moved to sheffield for my masters work.

thank you

Anouchka

My father was awarded some kind of medal from the Sheffield Polish community around the 1980's. It was (I think) for his work regarding the Poles via his post at the Sheffield star.