Does anybody rememember Hyde Park Dog Track?

Being a ex Wybourn lad had some good times at t'dogs on tuesday nite as a punter and yes Zunwalt one or two races I was told the winner before the race was run :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Then when turned out in to target for a few drinks and if you were lucky watch a good punce up outside :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Are you mad mick

No I am Mick Ward who had Ivanhoe, I spy, Harvest gold and many more over the years !

Does anyone remember Tommy the tailor [Tommy machin] alias Bert Rhodes who use to go there?. Always had a big cigar in his gob, he still goes to Owlerton they even had a race night for him because he has hardly missed a meeting in decades.

My dad used to go the greyhounds every friday night,

Were they commonly called "the grews" ??

& mom used to take me to the movies.

My aunt told me my dad used to have a greyhound called i think 'desert silk'.

Can anybody remember Hyde Park Dog Track, and also the regular people that went there, for instance people who went to spectate or people that had dog's running there, for instance David Naughton, his brother Shaun, Mark Booth and the book maker called Roy Lindop, and Paddy Naughton who used to go there.

My dad is Shaun and I regularly went to the races with him. More recently been with him to Highgate

Darnall greyhound racetrack was just behind the old Parkway Market. It

was more or less at the end of Poole Road, when Poole Road was half the

length that it is now. The current A-Z has a roundabout at the junction

of Acres Hill Lane and Poole Road; that is more or less on the site of

the greyhound track, as far as I can judge from here!

The above is from someone else's thread. It doesn't give a date of closure but confirms its existence. I went there with my dad and it wasn't open when I was 18, so I'd guess at late 50's?

my father told me that a load of pigs was hearded in just before the last race and the race was cancelled

at darnell track

Being a ex Wybourn lad had some good times at t'dogs on tuesday nite as a punter and yes Zunwalt one or two races I was told the winner before the race was run :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Then when turned out in to target for a few drinks and if you were lucky watch a good punce up outside :hihi::hihi::hihi:

that's if somebodeeey didn't throw a tv from topof the flats

that's if somebodeeey didn't throw a tv from topof the flats

I'm pretty sure not everyone thinks that's funny. Especially when the family members of the girl who was killed by a TV been thown off the flats are members on here.

I'm pretty sure not everyone thinks that's funny. Especially when the family members of the girl who was killed by a TV been thown off the flats are members on here.

sorry did not mean it to be funny used to deliver the star to the shops never left the van under the flats just in case

i remember stan coles kept his dogs on allotment in darnall i went to hyde park with my brother in law philip sanderson trains at owlerton now i think havent spoke in 15 yrs once had to run out of hyde park put a ringer in for tony mckenna it won by 20yrds stood out a mile funny now but not at the time was only about 15 never even got a bet on it cant remember name of dog ! i got a whippet off bloke who used to grade dogs up there harvey it was called flapped it at barnsley track very good dog happy days !

Please does anyone know the where about's of Malcolm Sayles son of Cyril Sales who ran the club @ Hyde Park Dog Track. I used to work with him for a very short while and at times we used to go out drinking, not seen or heard from him in years, I last saw him at Normington Springs, near Woodhouse !

Stan Coles is my grandad and it's his birthday today. He would have been 88. Greyhounds were his life and he was always at the dogs...Highgate in his later years. Really miss him calling in for a pot o tea on a Saturday morning and telling me stories about the old days at the dogs in it's hey day.