The old lady with the brass scales

does anyone remember the old lady with the brass scales that used to sit in the entrance of the old rag market

I remember her well, My dad always had to go and get wieghed before we went on holiday and after we got back. See what the difference was I suppose.

we also went into the fish market. I used to love a plate of cockles and a bag of marry-me-quick.

I remember her well, My dad always had to go and get wieghed before we went on holiday and after we got back. See what the difference was I suppose.

we also went into the fish market. I used to love a plate of cockles and a bag of marry-me-quick.

Wonder if the new market on the moor will be as good

does anyone remember the old lady with the brass scales that used to sit in the entrance of the old rag market

I do remember her, My dad always had to go and be weighed every year before we went on holiday, and when we got back, so he could see whether he had put any weight on I suppose. I also remeber going into the fish market for a plate of cockles and a bag of marry me quick, used to love it.

Can you remember big Ada from the market aswell?

Can you remember big Ada from the market aswell?

My uncle was landlord of the Old Number 12 on Haymarket way back in the 1950's, he always said that Ada could drink any man under the table, she was a very large lady!

My uncle was landlord of the Old Number 12 on Haymarket way back in the 1950's, he always said that Ada could drink any man under the table, she was a very large lady!

Yes,my Dad was a barrow boy for her and said she could fight like a man aswell.

There's a thread about her on here.

I have got a Terry Gorman print of the old market facing me, here are some of the names on the picture,

L Allen (Hardware), Mallerns (boiled sweets), Sadler (Cobler), William Atindale(Florist), Poultry market (horticultural in my day), The weighing scales, Massarellas (Ice Cream), Rex Amoid (Herbal remedies), W H Benson (Carpets), Leslie (Fabrics), G Tate (Kitchen Utensils), Elsie Turner (Greengrocer), Lily's Cafe. In the background there is the British Gas & Coke Co and the Y.E.B. There was also Turners Tools at the Sheaf Street end. As you left at the Sheaf Street entrance across the road was Sheaf Street Motors and a fishing tackle shop Collins I think? Anyone remember the man who was on The Generation Game who could juggle plates? I heard he lived up Grenoside.

I remember her very well there was a chesnut seller also. We used to go to the fish market and there were rabbits hung up skinned. My dad told me they were cats and I believed him, I still don't like going in there.

good god i remember her having the brass scales at the old market bottom of dixon lane ... we are all showing our age now guys ....

I know, I know. I remember being weighed on those scales when I was about 4 or 5. It seems like a different world now.

I have got a Terry Gorman print of the old market facing me, here are some of the names on the picture,

L Allen (Hardware), Mallerns (boiled sweets), Sadler (Cobler), William Atindale(Florist), Poultry market (horticultural in my day), The weighing scales, Massarellas (Ice Cream), Rex Amoid (Herbal remedies), W H Benson (Carpets), Leslie (Fabrics), G Tate (Kitchen Utensils), Elsie Turner (Greengrocer), Lily's Cafe. In the background there is the British Gas & Coke Co and the Y.E.B. There was also Turners Tools at the Sheaf Street end. As you left at the Sheaf Street entrance across the road was Sheaf Street Motors and a fishing tackle shop Collins I think? Anyone remember the man who was on The Generation Game who could juggle plates? I heard he lived up Grenoside.

Wasn't that "Potty" Edwards? There's a whole thread devoted to him in this section!

I also remember the lady with the scales, even though I was very young.

If she didn't guess your weight correctly, you didn't have to pay. I doubt she got many of her guesses wrong.

The sights and smells of the rag-n-tag were fascinating to me as a tiny tot of about two years old.

I remember trekking between the different stalls for the various things mt mother wanted to buy, the cardboard boxes that had been strewn on the floor as you walked through the puddles, and the rain drippping as you stood waiting to be served. (maybe my mum only took me there when it was raining? lol )

Wasn't that "Potty" Edwards? There's a whole thread devoted to him in this section!

I also remember the lady with the scales, even though I was very young.

If she didn't guess your weight correctly, you didn't have to pay. I doubt she got many of her guesses wrong.

The sights and smells of the rag-n-tag were fascinating to me as a tiny tot of about two years old.

I remember trekking between the different stalls for the various things mt mother wanted to buy, the cardboard boxes that had been strewn on the floor as you walked through the puddles, and the rain drippping as you stood waiting to be served. (maybe my mum only took me there when it was raining? lol )

I knew potty edwards and his son Lol,He went all religious in the Billy Graham era ,he used to run the mini buses to the meetings at Uniteds ground.

He used to booze in the Norfolk Dixon Lane every lunchtime with the rest of the market lads.By the way Billy Graham was the biggest crowd at the lane.

Hi Retired -I think the man who juggled the pots was called Edwards. It was fascinating to watch him, you could stand for hours and watch and listen to his banter. I think they also had a shop down the Moor.